Linux General

Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell xps 13 9370 Webcam support

I got my dell xps yesterday. It is the developers edition that come with ubuntu 16.04 preinstalled. 

I notice that cheese does not come installed, so I installed but no webcam is detected. I can see it if I do an lsusb, so I know is activated.

I was wondering, does this laptop supports the webcam or not?

Edit: Good news, a dell engineer came and replace the monitor, that has the webcam integrated and presto, it is working now.

Update: Most of the problems with the webcam is not hardware based. Looks like many of the laptops come with a firmware that the latest Linux kernel do not support at the moment. To solve the issue, Dell is replacing the whole monitor with a downgrade firmware of the webcam. If a less drastic solution is reported, I will update the post with it.

Update2: Looks like there is a software solution now. 

Replies (179)

@Community, 

I can confirm that BIOS 1.5.0 does contain the fix to the webcam-wake symptom and should be released right before end of August.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

Hi all,

Any pro tips about how to install the BIOS update from Linux? It only has an .exe download. I don't have Windows to run it.

Peter

@pkrumins,

You can do the following:

1. Download and place the BIOS update EXE on a thumb drive

2. Reboot the PC to the one time boot menu ( F12 on POST )

3. Choose the BIOS update option

4. Use the file explorer to navigate to the BIOS file location on the thumb drive

5. Execute

Can't find 1.3.3 or 1.1.3 versions on Dell website. Where do I find them?

For me, the BIOS version 1.5.1 released today fixes the webcam issue after resume from deep sleep.

Thanks Dell!

@InvisibleShadowGhost,

Glad to hear that 1.5.1 resolved the issue.

Thank you to the community for all the feedback on this. 

This is much later on in time, and I have bios 1.10 now.  Webcam does not work at startup.

I have Dell precision 5520 and using ubuntu 16.04.

The camera was working perfectly but later on, I discovered that it is not detected. I don't know what's happened.

Also, I have another ubuntu 16.04 aside to this one and the camera is working perfectly.

Thanks in advance.

<Email id removed>

Confirm the 1.5.1 version of BIOS fixes the deep sleep issue, now I am a happy Dell customer. 

I've been experiencing a regression with 4.15 on xenial

Solution: follow the guidance from the moderator (‎see message posted on 06-13-2018 02:38 PM)

At this point you should have a functioning 4.13 kernel (supporting the camera ok). Make sure it works.

Then uninstall 4.15

apt remove linux-image-unsigned-4.15.0-22-generic linux-image-4.15.0-22-generic

Reboot on 4.13 as needed 

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions