Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

September 25th, 2009 13:00

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

It also said E:_cache->open()failed.please report

I received my new Inspiron 910 with Ubuntu just a couple of days ago and ran Update Manager last night.  It showed 344 updates, which have apparently used up all my memory now before it could complete.  I'm new to Ubuntu and Dell, but fairly fluent with Windows so the number of updates did not surprise me.  Eventually the system locked up and I had to restart.  I now get the following error message.  I am also unable to connect to my network, which was not a problem before.

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.  E:_cache->open()failed.please report

I found this error in a post from 2007 with a solution to enter the command

sudo dpkg --configure -a

but am unable to figure out how to GET to the command line.  Help!

58 Posts

September 28th, 2009 01:00

I haven't used Dell's version of Ubuntu but assuming they didn't change TOO much, you can get to a command line by hitting ALT-F2 and running the command "gnome-terminal"

Otherwise you might also be able to get to a console by hitting CTRL-ALT-F1. To get back to the GUI environment should be CTRL-ALT-F7.

3 Posts

October 25th, 2009 22:00

not sure what you are using as desktop, gnome or kde, or xfce, or some other window manager. but if its one of the first three i mentioned, you can navigate via the menus and find the terminal there.

gnome

applications > accessories > terminal

this is what i would try to fix that error

sudo apt-get -f install

No Events found!