Faithgirl
2 Bronze

I bought a NEW Dell Desktop Inspirion 520, it has no windows installed.

Hi. Ive been told everything from "you must buy windows and have it installed" to "we highly recommend you only use Ubuntu, which is the operating sytem".

to

You ordered the computer with Ubuntu in it NO I DID NOT, IF YOU LOOK AT ALL THE DELL INSPIRION 530 DESKTOPS ON THE SALES PAGE ON THIS WEBSITE, YOU WILL SEE THAT THEY ALL HAVE WINDOWS LISTED AS THE OPERATING SYSTEM.

I BOUGHT THIS COMPUTER OFF OF THIS WEBSITE.

Im still upset.:emotion-12:

FOR THE RECORD, to date: I'VE TALKED TO 15 DIFFERENT PEOPLE ON THE PHONE AND 5 DIFFERENT PEOPLE VIA EMAIL ABOUT THIS AND EVERYONE HAS SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO SAY ABOUT IT.

IM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
ToeBee
3 Silver

Re: I bought a NEW Dell Desktop Inspirion 520, it has no windows installed.

Well Dell did sell Ubuntu on the Inspiron 530 for a while. The models that they offer Ubuntu on do change from time to time (as they do with Windows as well for that matter). So the question is, which one did you actually order, not which one do you THINK you ordered. Take a look at the sales receipt. If you placed the order online I think there should be a way to access a detailed invoice online as well which should list which operating system was ordered. If you did actually order the wrong one, I think they would allow you to return it and order a windows version instead. If they mistakenly sent you a machine loaded with Ubuntu then they should be able to provide you with system restore CDs to get windows installed correctly.

That being said, Ubuntu is a very nice and capable operating system. I personally prefer it greatly over Windows. Depending on what you need to do with this computer, you can probably keep Ubuntu and do just fine although it does take some getting used to. It has programs for reading email, surfing the internet and managing photos, among other things. And as a bonus you don't have to worry about spyware and viruses like you do in Windows.

I do hope you get this sorted out though.

0 Kudos
fireberd
8 Krypton

Dell (US customers) has a 21 day from the date on the Invoice (usually the date shipped) to call Dell customer service and request a return authorization if you are unhappy or don't like what you received.  In many cases they will offer to replace the system (with what you want) rather than have to issue a refund. 

The return timeframe varies in other countries.

Good Luck

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390,  i7 8700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro  SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recording Studio Software.

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Faithgirl
2 Bronze

No, they are not willing to do anything. They also told me I would have to PAY for any windows. I'm upset because of paying over one thousand dollars.

0 Kudos
Faithgirl
2 Bronze

Its been over 21 days, after the comptuer came I was in the emergency room, then had to have surgury. Then I had to move.

THey do not care. lol

0 Kudos
ToeBee
3 Silver

Well yes, if you did mistakenly order the linux model then you would have to pay for Windows. Linux (and most of the programs you can run on it) are free. Windows is not free.

0 Kudos
Faithgirl
2 Bronze

No, I did not mistakingly order ubuntu/linex. They did a bait and switch on me. I am not the only person this has happened to.

0 Kudos
hrova
5 Rhenium

As I stated yesterday in your other thread, and others have stated in this thread, if your invoice shows Ubuntu, then that is what you purchased. Even givent he hospitalization and move, the invoice could have been checked at time of order, and, if incorrect, fixed at that time.

Community Member Since 2003

0 Kudos
Faithgirl
2 Bronze

well, rest assured, I will never buy another Dell computer as long as i live.

0 Kudos
ieee488
7 Gold

well, rest assured, I will never buy another Dell computer as long as i live.

not only do they send you what you do not order, they have lousy customer support. I hope they fold.

:emotion-2:

I find posts like these hysterical.

I find it hard to believe you that you ordered a PC with Windows.

0 Kudos