Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2009 20:00

I bought a NEW Dell Desktop Inspirion 520, it has no windows installed.

Hi. Ive been told everything from "you must buy windows and have it installed" to "we highly recommend you only use Ubuntu, which is the operating sytem".

to

You ordered the computer with Ubuntu in it NO I DID NOT, IF YOU LOOK AT ALL THE DELL INSPIRION 530 DESKTOPS ON THE SALES PAGE ON THIS WEBSITE, YOU WILL SEE THAT THEY ALL HAVE WINDOWS LISTED AS THE OPERATING SYSTEM.

I BOUGHT THIS COMPUTER OFF OF THIS WEBSITE.

Im still upset.:emotion-12:

FOR THE RECORD, to date: I'VE TALKED TO 15 DIFFERENT PEOPLE ON THE PHONE AND 5 DIFFERENT PEOPLE VIA EMAIL ABOUT THIS AND EVERYONE HAS SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO SAY ABOUT IT.

IM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER.

58 Posts

October 19th, 2009 10:00

Well Dell did sell Ubuntu on the Inspiron 530 for a while. The models that they offer Ubuntu on do change from time to time (as they do with Windows as well for that matter). So the question is, which one did you actually order, not which one do you THINK you ordered. Take a look at the sales receipt. If you placed the order online I think there should be a way to access a detailed invoice online as well which should list which operating system was ordered. If you did actually order the wrong one, I think they would allow you to return it and order a windows version instead. If they mistakenly sent you a machine loaded with Ubuntu then they should be able to provide you with system restore CDs to get windows installed correctly.

That being said, Ubuntu is a very nice and capable operating system. I personally prefer it greatly over Windows. Depending on what you need to do with this computer, you can probably keep Ubuntu and do just fine although it does take some getting used to. It has programs for reading email, surfing the internet and managing photos, among other things. And as a bonus you don't have to worry about spyware and viruses like you do in Windows.

I do hope you get this sorted out though.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 19th, 2009 11:00

Dell (US customers) has a 21 day from the date on the Invoice (usually the date shipped) to call Dell customer service and request a return authorization if you are unhappy or don't like what you received.  In many cases they will offer to replace the system (with what you want) rather than have to issue a refund. 

The return timeframe varies in other countries.

Good Luck

13 Posts

October 19th, 2009 13:00

Its been over 21 days, after the comptuer came I was in the emergency room, then had to have surgury. Then I had to move.

THey do not care. lol

13 Posts

No, they are not willing to do anything. They also told me I would have to PAY for any windows. I'm upset because of paying over one thousand dollars.

58 Posts

Well yes, if you did mistakenly order the linux model then you would have to pay for Windows. Linux (and most of the programs you can run on it) are free. Windows is not free.

13 Posts

October 19th, 2009 14:00

well, rest assured, I will never buy another Dell computer as long as i live.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

well, rest assured, I will never buy another Dell computer as long as i live.

not only do they send you what you do not order, they have lousy customer support. I hope they fold.

:emotion-2:

I find posts like these hysterical.

I find it hard to believe you that you ordered a PC with Windows.

2.2K Posts

As I stated yesterday in your other thread, and others have stated in this thread, if your invoice shows Ubuntu, then that is what you purchased. Even givent he hospitalization and move, the invoice could have been checked at time of order, and, if incorrect, fixed at that time.

13 Posts

No, I did not mistakingly order ubuntu/linex. They did a bait and switch on me. I am not the only person this has happened to.

13 Posts

October 19th, 2009 15:00

Hysterical?

WIndows is the only operating system I am familiar with or comfortable with. Its all Ive ever known.

I would not order a computer with anything else, ever.

here is the page for my comptuer and the service tag which I have....it is all windows for the OS.

HERE is the page for operating systems supported for your particular computer.

If you type in the Dell Desktop Inspirion 530 WHAT OS SHOWS UP?

WINDOWS XP AND WINDOWS VISTA

I

2.2K Posts

October 19th, 2009 16:00

As has previosuly been stated in both of your threads....  The 530 did at one time offer Linux. Just because it is not anymore does not mean it wasn't available when you ordered it.

Your options:

A) Produce documentation that you ordered your 530 with Windows and have Dell meet your order

B)  Buy a copy of Windows (note, if you really ordered with Ubuntu, then you never paid for Windows anyway)

Since these are user to user forums, we can provide information reagrding what you need, but none of us can make Dell give you anything. Sorry.

1.1K Posts

October 19th, 2009 20:00

Hi Faithgirl

Ironically I’ve seen posts where users demand to know why they can’t buy a Dell computer without a preinstalled MS Windows OS

Anyhow, assuming it’s an Inspiron 530?

Then yes it does appear that model was sold, presumably with an option excluding a preinstalled MS Windows OS, as you say most unusual & could be misleading  :emotion-43:

Not much consolation but if not already seen, read this thread click here

As previously mentioned by others, if packing slip doesn’t include MS Windows OS then presumably it’s reflected in some cost reduction in package purchase price?

Then unfortunately you would need to either persuade Dell to sell you the required OEM discs at whatever the option cost savings price was, or buy Retail MS Windows

13 Posts

October 19th, 2009 21:00

Hi BB: yes, it was a 530.

Ironically, I ordered/received mine the same month as that person did.

whew.

Next time I ever buy a computer, I'm going in PERSON, nothing over the internet ever again.

• 

16.7K Posts

October 20th, 2009 12:00

Faithgirl,

Check your private messages. I requested information.

13 Posts

October 20th, 2009 14:00

My issue has now been resolved.

Thankyou for listening...

I am a happy camper and I now have my windows OS,  the updates are running right now.

WOO HOO!

:emotion-2:

No Events found!