Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 28th, 2016 21:00

ISO for Ubuntu 14.04 (and 16.04) for Linux-based Dell laptops

Hi,

I just received my Precision 5510 with Ubuntu 14.04 pre-installed.

I noticed the Ubuntu installed on the laptop is not a vanilla Ubuntu distro. For example, it has a few additional DELL specific apt repos added to it. Or it has the Recovery Disk creator app pre-installed, etc.

I've created a Recovery USB already, but does DELL host this slightly modified OEM ISO for the Ubuntu somewhere on their servers for download -- in case someone loses the recovery media and needs to download it from somewhere?

Also I noticed that DELL specific repos for 16.04 are already on Ubuntu's repos (dell.archive.ubuntu.com/.../xenial). Does it mean that 16.04 is good to go for my laptop now?

And if I want to clean install 16.04, does DELL provide a customised ISO file with their apt repos already pre-configured and extra apps pre-installed?

Two more questions:

• Any extra steps I need to do if I want to install Kubuntu 16.04 on my Precision 5510? (e.g. what apt repos should I add?)
    • Even better, does DELL provide customised Kubuntu ISO files?

• How well does Fedora work on these machines?

Thanks in advance.

28 Posts

September 29th, 2016 23:00

I have this laptop (Precision 5510, 32GB RAM, i7-6820HQ) for about one week and all I have done until now are optimizations (Windows/Ubuntu) and still the computer behaves so slow (compared to every laptop I had before). It gives me a pretty bad feeling. For that price I expected that everything to work seamlessly.

The pre-boot time takes 8-10 seconds (and I'm not the only one having this issue. Check here).
Until I get to Windows/Linux I need to wait another 20 seconds.
Every application starts with a small delay (~ 1 sec).
Resizing an application is a slow process.

My BIOS/drivers are up to date.
In Ubuntu (16.04, 64 bits):
- I updated the kernel to 4.7.5-040705 (before that I tried 4.5 and 4.6)
- the Nvidia driver is now on 370.28 version (before that I tried also 361.45, 364.19, 367.44 and 370.28)
In Windows (10 Pro, 64 bits), the same: the latest drivers are installed.

I thought that maybe there is an issue with the SSD and you can read here my question. No answer.

I really don't know what else to do.

10 Posts

May 3rd, 2016 12:00

I would just like to add that I would be interested in this. I am just starting to research here whether I can move my fairly recent XPS 13 9343 burdened with an MS OS over to a fresh and clean Dell Developers Linux configuration. A fresh ISO would be nice so I do not have to search for, and decide whether or not I have been successful in installing, all of the Dell drivers and applications. I would rather invest my time in moving to the Linux world.

3 Posts

June 5th, 2016 03:00

Looks like Dell share recovery ISO's only for Windows-based notebooks for now: Dell Recovery Image Download. The rest of images is device-specific (but why???) and are created only via Dell Recovery utility.

Also such images can provide a customer support service in your country.

P.S. If somebody will need recovery image for Vostro 5459 - I can create one for you. Just send me a message.

June 11th, 2016 11:00

I'd be interested in some ISOs or instructions as well.

I have upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04.

I have updated my sources.list to include the dell repositories:
dell.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial

and

dell.archive.canonical.com/updates xenial-dell-ford-constantine and xenial-dell

The problem is that I cannot boot the machine with any 4.4 kernel. I've tried multiple, including dell.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial/main/uefi/linux-amd64/current (4.4.0.21).

The machine will boot and mostly run fine with kernel 3.19.0-59.

When installing a 4.4 kernel I do get BUILD_EXCLUSIVE errors from these dkms modules:
/usr/src/realtek-rts-cr-1.4.3oem2
/usr/src/oem-audio-hda-daily-lts-vivid-0.201512022217~ubuntu14.04.1
/usr/src/synaptic-i2c-hid-3.13.0-32-backport-1.6.4
/usr/src/btusb-iwlwifi-intel8260-1.7

I have found some of these in the trusty repositories but not in any xenial repository yet.

Currently the system is mostly stable but I'd be interested in any experience you guys might have with running the precision 5510 with the current ubuntu LTS version?

3 Posts

June 17th, 2016 13:00

But is customized ISO actually needed? I tested 16.04 without installing from my USB stick. And all seem to work out of the box (except Nvidia card and fingerprint scanner, I just didn't tested them). All tests passing (from built-in test utility), WiFi works, touchpad works and so on. Nothing was failed or broken while this test.

In the end of this month I'll also try to install 16.04 on the HDD and will write results of this experiment in this thread.

1 Message

June 25th, 2016 05:00

I tried the officel 16.04 release as live system on my 7710 - main issue that the INTEL RAID is not recognized - anyone any idea to solve that? May I include the obovementioned dell sources?

11 Posts

June 26th, 2016 03:00

Hi,

Dell has Ubuntu Recovery Images on their site. Just go to the download / drivers section. Type in your service tag... voilá

I got a 2,2gb ISO named "dell-bto-trusty-berlinetta-p-dino2-A00-iso-20160224.iso"

3 Posts

June 26th, 2016 07:00

Cerberus, you are right. But image is available not for all systems and service tags. For example for my Vostro 5449 I get an error "Recovery image not available for your Service Tag." instead of image.

1 Message

August 10th, 2016 03:00

I had the 4.4 kernel problems too. With some fiddling I now boot with kernel 4.2.0.30 and that works fine so far (couple of days now).

There was a build error for that kernel too, caused by the caspar system. I removed the caspar packages (intended to run ubuntu from a read-only device, I'm not doing that) and then the 4.2 kernel installed ok.

1 Message

August 28th, 2016 23:00

I put in my service tag (originall installed with Windows 10 Home), but only got a download link for a Windows 10 image. Did you put in a service tag for a Linux machine?

28 Posts

September 29th, 2016 14:00

Hi,

I have the same machine and now I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 (downloaded directly from Ubuntu's site). The issue is that I'm not happy at all with this installation. Everything works slowly and I don't know the cause (you can check this thread).

Can you tell me about your experience with 14.04? Also, do you have this boot problem?

Thanks,

Mihai

September 29th, 2016 17:00

My experience is the same. Contrary to what they have advertised, this laptop is not compatible with Ubuntu. 14.04 is even worse. Support for Skylake CPUs does not exist in 14.04's default kernel.

What kind of slowness are you experiencing? GUI? That's because the nVidia M1000M GPU uses the open source Nouveau drivers out of the box. Installing the proprietary driver is also a hit and miss. Most of the time it breaks the system and you cannot even login to X.

In short, this laptop does not worth a penny as a Linux workstation.

Cheers.

13 Posts

September 30th, 2016 16:00

Kernel 4.5 and 4.6 are considered deprecated. Use either 4.4 or 4.7.

Your boot time seems normal. If you are concerned about the BIOS boot time (Preboot as you call it) then I'm afraid you aren't the only one. I too find the BIOS boot a little slow. I have informed Dell to do something about it. Having said that there is an option in the BIOS to alter the BIOS delay and another option to set a Minimal hardware check. Once you have the system correctly set up then you can live with the delay.

Under Linux if you can set the system up to use EFI then Linux will reach the Grub screen faster.

28 Posts

October 1st, 2016 03:00

As I said, I'm using 4.7.5-040705. The boot process is by far very slow. On my old laptop (L702x, i7, 12 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) I need to wait ~10 seconds until the Ubuntu (16.04) is up and running.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 8th, 2016 05:00

It's the same situation with me and exactly the same notebook.I buy it in June and still wondering what a sh*t is this ... Also I buyed and dock which never succefully run 2 external monitors! For that amount of money I expect peace of art ,not a some buggy laggy *** !!!

Thank you for posting your settings about Ubuntu.

No Events found!