Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2013 12:00

Inspiron 15-3521 DELL OEM Ubuntu image

Hello,

I recently bought an inspiron 15-3521(the one with i5 and radeon 7670), which had Ubuntu 12.04 LTS preinstalled. I wiped the whole disk shortly because I wanted to install windows 8 and then dual boot it with 'buntu 12.10.

Then I tried the 'normal' version of Ubuntu. It was a disaster - fan was almost constantly running on max power,  it really didn't like the Integrated GPU/Radeon combo and as a result the battery was dying for about two hours. In windows, it easily lasts 5-6 hours. I tried Ubuntu, Mint, ElementaryOS, Fedora and openSUSE - same thing.

Turns out the version of Ubuntu, that was preinstalled was some kind of special OEM release for dell laptops/for the 3521/.

So my question is - Is it possible for me to get that OEM image, that was preinstalled on my computer before I formatted the hard drive? Also - is it even available in the 'my DELL downloads' page, I can't seem to get through the service tag check.

11 Posts

April 8th, 2013 06:00

The problem was not CPU usage, the laptop has an Ivy bridge i5, it can handle unity. The problem is that linux doesn't like the intel/ati gpu combo and for some reason the discrete card is heating up quicky(even though it should pretty much not work, when it's not needed), which turns the fan on so it can keep up with the heat, which uses a lot more battery.

Disabling the discrete gpu did it for me - no constant fan running, normal battery life.

6 Posts

April 10th, 2013 06:00

Hello svinqvmraka,

I would like to ask you to tell me in details, how did you do this discrete card disabling with vgaswitcheroo. I can echo OFF to the switch file and then it says that the discrete card is off, but the fan is running constantly. Should it go down? I think the problem is that on every boot the system starts with the default options (DIS ON). How did you achieve that the fan goes down and the card is really off? Do you use any method to apply these settings at boot time? I've tried to use the rc.local file, but somehow it didn't work. Please give me a full instruction from the very beginning. By the way, I called the Hungarian Dell Technical Support again (after 1 month) but they can't tell me any good news about this problem.

Thank you,

Wrezter

11 Posts

April 10th, 2013 07:00

Hey wrezter,

I did what I posted a few posts back - just run the three commands:

1.    chmod -R 705 /sys/kernel/debug  

2.    chown -R usrname:usrname /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo    (replace 'usrname' with your username)

3.    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

First thing - make sure you run all those with sudo - the chown and chmod commands need root access.

Second - For easy running, i created a bash script that runs those three commands all at once. Here is what my script contains:

#!/bin/sh
notify-send "Disabling ATI GPU"
chmod -R 705 /sys/kernel/debug
notify-send "chmod - rdy"
chown -R emo:emo /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo
notify-send "chown - rdy"
echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
notify-send "Disabled."
Where 'emo' is my name, you should replace it with your username.
What it does is running each command one after another and displaying a notification to see what is going on(you can change those, or remove them alltogether:))
paste this into an empty file and save it as something.sh(in my case I named it gpu.sh) and put it in your home folder.
Then when you start ubuntu, just type 'sudo sh gpu.sh' in the terminal and wait a couple of seconds.

To check if it is working okay, install the lm-sensors package(sudo apt-get install lm-sensors). After it is installed, type 'sensors' in the terminal. For me, when the discrete gpu is disabled,  the output of  'sensors' ends in something like that:
radeon-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: -128.0°C
Look at the last line - temp1: -128C. When I run sensors before disabling the radeon gpu, temp1 shows a real temperature reading - 30-40C. After I disable it, look like the sensors stops working and shows -128 degrees. That's how i check if it's working.

The rc.local autostarting is optional and I read it in the ubuntu forums but I haven't done it yet because I'm fine with running the script at startup.

I should say that after about a month of using ubuntu like that, I'm very happy with it. The fan runs sometimes, but by far not that often to be annoying, the temperature readings are great and if I put the laptop on my cooling pad, the fan is not working 99% of the time.
Battery lasts for about 4-4.5 hrs normal usage. Not as good as with windows, but still good enough for me.
Hope this works
cheers, svinqvmraka

ps. I did all that on ubuntu 12.04 at first and it worked perfectly fine. I've now installed the 13.04 beta 2(which is surprisingly stable and snappy btw) and it still works great.

1 Message

June 3rd, 2013 06:00

Hello ,

any other solution, i have the same problem, and i tried many of version of ubuntu, opensuse, and fan still make noise.
it is stable only on windows, i want to know the drivers that you have installed both for intel and ati.

Best regards.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 16th, 2013 09:00

image created on a laptop Dell 3521 (i5 3317, HD 7670M) from recovery partition. Dell Recovery 1.24.2. rutracker.org/.../viewtopic.php

August 20th, 2013 04:00

Hi I use 3521 inspiron. Intel 2117u Cpu. No discrete graphics card. The laptop's fan works constantly.

Only an integrated card in laptop (HD Graphics 2500).

Is there any solution? The factory-installed ubuntu no on the disk.

Is there any difference between the pre-installed ubuntu and 12.04 ubuntu?

The pre-installed system can obtain a copy somewhere?

With the pre-installed ubuntu is constantly spinning the fan?

Or a list of drivers. Dell uses to the pre-installation.
(package name list)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Nevergonealfa

2 Posts

October 1st, 2013 09:00

Same Problem.............

<ADMIN NOTE: Signature removed per privacy policy>

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 29th, 2013 06:00

Дмитрий, Вы по русски говорите?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 29th, 2013 06:00

Hello I am the owner of Dell Inspiron 3521-8898, tell me where I can download the original image of ubuntu? my service tag 5HH91X1, and tell me why when I configure hdmi output at 1920x1080 resolution and the signal disappears when install 1366x768 hdmi port works fine

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 29th, 2013 07:00

Здравствуйте! Я так и не нашел на сайте OEM образа Ubuntu 12.04 от Dell, более того в нескольких постах утверждается, что его не существует. Хотя при покупке были установлены утилиты Dell и логотипы от Dell & Energy Star. Все ссылки, какие смог найти, смотрите выше в моих постах. Образ на rutracker.org выложил я, создав его из раздела восстановления. Дополнительные пакеты находятся в каталоге debs. После обновления ядра и BIOS стал сильно шуметь и постоянно работать кулер. После нескольких восстановлений из раздела плюнул и стал пробовать свежие версии Ubuntu. Сейчас стоит 13.10, хотя 13.04 на мой взгляд была стабильней. Еще стоит Elementary OS Luna. Кулер успокоился, индикатор батареи показывает то 3 часа, то 5 - не поймешь. HDMI в 12.04 тоже работал странно - на телевизоре не выставлялось родное разрешение.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 29th, 2013 07:00

komich, да конечно, здравсвуйте

5 Posts

November 29th, 2013 08:00

if your write in german or english i may would be able to help you :emotion-1:

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 29th, 2013 09:00

Thanks, clempe! I answerd Dmitry K. Pre-install on my Inspiron 3521-6777 Ubuntu 12.04 differs from the original image of the presence of additional packages of Dell, which are not in official repository. I now use Ubuntu 13.10.

No Events found!