Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2013 12:00

Inspiron 15-3521 DELL OEM Ubuntu image

Hello,

I recently bought an inspiron 15-3521(the one with i5 and radeon 7670), which had Ubuntu 12.04 LTS preinstalled. I wiped the whole disk shortly because I wanted to install windows 8 and then dual boot it with 'buntu 12.10.

Then I tried the 'normal' version of Ubuntu. It was a disaster - fan was almost constantly running on max power,  it really didn't like the Integrated GPU/Radeon combo and as a result the battery was dying for about two hours. In windows, it easily lasts 5-6 hours. I tried Ubuntu, Mint, ElementaryOS, Fedora and openSUSE - same thing.

Turns out the version of Ubuntu, that was preinstalled was some kind of special OEM release for dell laptops/for the 3521/.

So my question is - Is it possible for me to get that OEM image, that was preinstalled on my computer before I formatted the hard drive? Also - is it even available in the 'my DELL downloads' page, I can't seem to get through the service tag check.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

November 29th, 2013 09:00

he didn't have a question really

you can use http://translate.google.com to read what he wrote

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 29th, 2013 11:00

comich,  у меня модель немного другая,  у меня intel Pentium 2117 U + intel HD 4000 дискретного видео нет, и вайфай broadcom образ нашел как-то случайно на офицальном сайте ubuntu в разделе подерживаемых моделей dell, и на оригинальный он не похож,  осановился на нем так как там определился молуль вайфай, также много читал о intel hd видео стабильно работает на 12.04 выше версии работают как попало, как у вас обстаят дела с тем чтобы добиться от тех  подержки оригинального образа который был предустановлен при покупке, меня очень сильно интересует этот момент, иначе сервис получается отвратительный продукт есть поджержка молчит

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 29th, 2013 12:00

Я  тоже этому удевляюсь, немного рзрчаровывает такое пофигическое отношение,  давайте держать тут связь если чтото будет продвигаться, я на данный момент хочу получить систему предустановленную dell, моя ситуация еще нтересней я получил свой ноутбук совершенно без ос, как так вышло незнаю но ubuntu после первого включения не запустилась, еще удивительно то что в разделе загрузки есть только драйвера для ос виндовс о линукс не намека, вы прбовали утилиту dell recovery под ubuntu бегло пробижался по ней и понял то что она накладывает спец пакеты толи драйвера на iso образобраз, она есть в ubuntu-software-center

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 29th, 2013 12:00

Я в их техподдержку не обращался, но по моему они сейчас поддерживают только серверные продукты с линуксом и Windows. В нескольких ветках форума представители Dell отвечали, что специальный OEM образ не создавался, и ставьте, мол, оригинальную ванильную версию убунту. У меня wi-fi atheros, драйвер отображался как проприетарный. Сейчас все работает на всех системах, графика переключена на HD 4000. На сайте убунту моя модель значится как сертифицированная, кроме дискретной графики... Мой образ у меня есть, но работает уже не так, как после покупки - я обновлял BIOS (сейчас А12). Да и сам раздел восстановления менялся после обновлений, например обновлялась dell recovery:) Попробую написать в тех поддержку. По моему дела сейчас у Dell не очень, так что им не до нас:) Хотя меня удивляет, что продукт выпускается в варианте с Ubuntu, а поддержка оказывается только пользователям Windows.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 29th, 2013 13:00

Dell recovery restores the OS from a hidden partition or create recovery media from ISO image and integrate into it the drivers. But where to find them? If you have not deleted the hidden partition, then could recover from it even after reinstalling the OS. We will keep in touch.

11 Posts

November 29th, 2013 13:00

Guys, I would really appreciate it if you keep the russian talk on PMs or write in english here, because a lot of people are interested and subscribed to the topic and are receiving an email every time you post. I got 11 in the last 6 hours, six of them were in russian, 3 were off-topic. Please stop it. Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2013 14:00

What else can you put distributions on dell inspiron 3521? and where to get the driver such as the broadcom 3142. Certification ubuntu constantly noisy fan, hdmi port does not provide full HD resolution (1920 x 1080) I solved my problemmy? I have a product but do not have technical support. Get the engineer of the department of ubuntu support

2 Posts

December 10th, 2013 11:00

Thanks  a ton buddy .... i have dell inspiron 15R 5520. i purchased with preloaded windows 8. As im a programer i need linux also so was running ubuntu was having same problem..i did many things, read many forums, didnt got anything worked!

but thanks to u...this Finally worked for me !!!!!!!!:emotion-1:

1 Message

January 19th, 2014 13:00

I know I'm late to the party but I thought I'd share what I learned when I had this fan problem.  The source code for the drivers that control the speed of the fans relative to the temperature readings of the card is proprietary therefor the open source drivers do not have this so that leaves the only safe option of running at full speed all the time.  I was able to find some guides to build some debian installers for the proprietary catalyst drivers and the difference was huge.  AMD oughta be ashamed, I wonder how many people out there have machines sounding like ROFL copters so AMD can protect its benchmark scores.

1 Message

March 16th, 2014 09:00

sir i want a same file but my laptop config is i3 3217u,4gb,500gb,intel hd 4000 plz give the link sir

3 Posts

March 19th, 2014 01:00

Is this issue resolved?

Today i bought a Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Ubuntu)

Then updated the packages from UPDATE MANGER..
After updating and reboot Wi-Fi stopped working..
Then tried to recover it from the dell recovery..
During which it got stuck and stopped progressing..
Thats it.. Laptop doesnt boot after this..Its displaying NTLDR missing..Which we get when boot gets corrupted in Windows XP...

How can i recover again to the previous state?

Having a similar issue..

3 Posts

March 19th, 2014 01:00

Today i bought a Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Ubuntu)

Then updated the packages from UPDATE MANGER..
After updating and reboot Wi-Fi stopped working..
Then tried to recover it from the dell recovery..
During which it got stuck and stopped progressing..
Thats it.. Laptop doesnt boot after this..Its displaying NTLDR missing..Which we get when boot gets corrupted in Windows XP...

1 Message

September 4th, 2016 06:00

i have brought  inspiron i5 3521 with windows 8 pre-install . I want to use ubuntu on my laptop i went to service center but not happy with the service , can i install ubuntu i tried

install it by my own but fan was running horrible

2 Posts

September 4th, 2016 08:00

Hi Shivtej2008,

Your fan running continuously because your machine got hybrid graphic card along with Intel graphics.

I faced the same problem untill the release of Ubuntu 16.04  LTS. I  am now using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with no fan running problem.

June 11th, 2019 18:00

Hi,

please tell me what version of ubuntu i need to install in my laptop. My laptop original Configuration is Ubuntu Linux 12.04. but when i bought the service centre installed windows 7 ulyimate. so, please tell me which version of ubuntu that i have to install in my laptop inspiron 15 3521.

No Events found!