Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2013 08:00

Inspiron 17R SE 7720 & CentOS 6.3

Has anyone tried installing CentOS 6.3 on an Inspiron 17R SE 7720? I installed a second 200 GB HDD to the second HD bay and was going to use that for Linux but I keep getting a Kernel Panic when attempting to boot the installer or live CD/DVD for CentOS. The CentOS logo will appear on screen and then the Kernel Panic will occur, can't remember the exact error message. I am currently using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which installed and boots fine but I use Red Hat at work so I would like to use CentOS for the sake of consistency, right now I just use a VM for CentOS.

If anyone has any tips on this I would appreciate it, it may be an easy fix, I honestly did not spend a great deal of time troubleshooting the issue.

Thanks.

5 Posts

March 30th, 2013 03:00

Hello,

I do have the same problem. I have just tried to install Centos 6.3 on an USB drive through VMWare.

But when I boot my Inspiron 5720 from USB, CentOS 6.3 start to boot correctly, the blue boot bar appears,

but at a certain stage it hangs with the error "Kernel Panic".

Have you already found a solution to this problem?

Thanks.

62 Posts

April 1st, 2013 10:00

I have not yet found a solution to the problem. As a workaround I have just been using Virtualbox since for what I need to do a Virtualbox VM works just as well. I have not tried with VMWare but Virtualbox works.

5 Posts

April 1st, 2013 13:00

I have tried with CentOS 6.4 with no result. At the moment I have decided to install under VMWare and it works. But I would like to go in deep of this problem, may be I need to install CentOS in the near future. Have you already tried to ask to Dell if Linux is compatible with Dell Inspiron 5720 ?

No Events found!