macheted01
2 Bronze

Inspiron 910 & Ubuntu Issue

I just recently got an Inspiron 910 with Ubuntu and the bottom of the line basics. Ubuntu prompted me that there were some updates available. I let it run through the updates. Now it says the harddrive is full after the updates. I realize that it is only a 4 gb hardrive. Did not realize just the operating system would consume all of the space. So I am completely new to Ubuntu and not to familiar with it yet. I basically wanted this laptop just for the internet. Did not plan on storing much of anything in it, but would be nice to have some space. So I guess, I would like to go through and decide what I can do without, on it in order to free up some space. I am going to see about going to the add/remove programs and remove like some of the games and stuff that I will not use. Are there any recomendations on this?

Also, I have a Sprint Novatel U727 aircard that I would like to use on this. I looked to Sprint and they have a pretty good desciptive breakdown on how to do this, but since I am not familiar with alot of the terminoligy used, I am kind of lost. Also, looked to Ubuntu, but still waiting on some responses. If anyone is familiar with this aircard and are able to use it, would sure appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ToeBee
3 Silver

Re: Inspiron 910 & Ubuntu Issue

One thing you might try to clear up some space is deleting the package cache files. Whenever you install a program through the package manager, it downloads a .deb file to /var/cache/apt/archives/ and then unpacks that file onto your system to install it. After it is done, it keeps the .deb file around in case it needs to reinstall or reconfigure things later. I'm not sure what the default retention policy for these files is but if you are tight on space you can clean them out without negatively impacting your system. If the package manager needs the file to reinstall or reconfigure, it will just download it again. I'm guessing if you had some major updates, there may be a couple hundred MB worth of archive files there.

To clear them out: I am not aware of any way to click through this so you will need to open a terminal and type the following command:

sudo apt-get clean

I would almost hope that this doesn't do anything. On a 4 GB drive you would think that Dell would turn off most such caching features... but I'm guessing they didn't :emotion-1: I guess you could check before you do anything to see how big /var/cache/apt/archives/ is.

0 Kudos
macheted01
2 Bronze

Re: Inspiron 910 & Ubuntu Issue

Hey, Thanks alot. I went ahead and did that. Cleared up some space. I also eliminated some of the stuff I dont use. For this paricular laptop I dont really need much space, as I am just using it to get online, but it just did not make much sense to me, having that much of the space ate up already. It has an SD memory card slot and plus I have my flash drives, which is what I planned on using to move things around with. Now I just have to get a little more familiar with Ubuntu. Thanks again.

0 Kudos