Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2015 09:00

Intermittent Ethernet on Optiplex 9020 under Xubuntu 15.04

I have a new Optiplex 9020 in the mini-tower case, with i7-4790 and 32 GB RAM. It runs fine with 64-bit Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise. I installed 64-bit Xubuntu 15.04 (Ubuntu with the Xfce desktop) in dual boot. That seems to work OK too, with one exception: the wired Ethernet works properly in Windows but is intermittent in Linux.

Specifically, lspci recognizes the Ethernet hardware as an Intel I217-LM. Running ifconfig seems to show all the right values, except that there is no IP address. Under Windows, the device is able to use DHCP to obtain an IP address, but not under Linux. I was able to get connectivity temporarily by using a USB-to-Ethernet adapter, so I have all the latest updates. I tried setting the IP address, mask, and gateway manually, to match what DHCP provides, but I still get the message that all destinations are unreachable.

I tried un-installing the standard driver and re-installing it, but that didn't help. Then I downloaded the latest driver from Intel. After several tries, DHCP started working. This survived several reboots, so I thought the problem had been solved. But a few days ago it stopped working again.

I did try booting from CD using various live Linux distributions. Ubuntu and Fedora had the same problem, but Knoppix recognized the port and worked properly with DHCP.

I called Dell tech support, and they said that even though the Optiplex 9020 is certified as compatible with Ubuntu (version 12.04), since I had not bought it from Dell with Linux installed they could not support me. So I am hoping that somebody out there has some ideas.

1 Message

December 12th, 2015 20:00

Setting "Wake on Magic Packet from power off state" may cause this problem.

• In Microsoft Windows, open Device Manager
    • Select the Start button
    • Select Control Panel
    • Select System and Security
    • Under System, select Device Manager
    • Note: Administrator permission required--if you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • In Device Manager, expand "Network Adapters"
  • Right-click the adapter and select Properties
  • In the Properties window, select tab "Power Management"
  • Under section "Wake on LAN", find setting "Wake on Magic Packet from power off state" and uncheck it
  • Select button "OK" to save the settings 

Note: we first installed the latest drivers, from intel.com, at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/60019/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I217-LM (for example, for us, it was "Network Adapter Driver for Windows 7*").

1 Message

March 5th, 2019 05:00

I had the same problem with Mint 19 Tara and disabling  "Wake on Magic Packet from power off state" did resolve the issues in lInux with the Intermittent Ethernet.

No Events found!