Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2006 14:00

Linux USB Problems on Dimension E521 AMD 64 X2

Hi,

Anyone else try running Linux (in my case Ubuntu 6.06) on the E521 with the AMD 64 X2 processor? I am having a problem when using xorg where my USB devices, more often my mouse, but my keyboard has had the problem as well stops working. It is almost like the interrupts start getting masked, but it isn't that. Because when the mouse stops working I am usually able to still use the keyboard.

It happens after a while, and usually in times of heavy use. I guess really instead of heavy I would say normal. But it has never happened that it will be working and then I let it lay idle for a while and then reach for it again and it be frozen.

This started happening under the amd64 version of Ubuntu but I have tried several different versions by now and the problem continues to happen.

As far as troubleshooting it has been a real pain. There is never a message in the kernel log or shown by running dmesg. Actually once or twice I have seen the irq status -71 received, but I am pretty sure that is not the cause, becuase it has only happened about twice out of maybe 40 occurances. And there is no message in the Xorg log either.

I have tried the default amd64-generic kernel the latest amd64-generic, the latest amd64-k8 kernel (I think 2.6.15-27.48) I have tried running the i386 uniprocessor kernel and the latest k7-smp kernel. All of them have the same problem.

In an effort to get to the bottom of it I have re-compiled the kernel according to the directions here: http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Kernel_Compilation_Dapper and turned on debugfs and collected data, but there doesn't seem to be anything of interest. It seems I get hundreds of thousands of lines of -115 status (Which I believe is the controller just telling the device that yeah, I hear ya and I am going to do something EINPROGRESS) and then nothing. The mouse appears to continue to function at least the circuit which senses movement and turns the LED into bright mode. And under Windows I have had no problems at all.

The only solution that always works is to disconnect the USB cable and then reconnect it, which grabs a new device file /dev/input/event7 and probably does some other magic registers with the USB controller, and a bunch of other stuff and then the mouse starts working again.

The only other consistent problem I have noted is the IOAPIC stuff complains about a bug, and sometimes it won't boot and panics, other times it figures out a way to get by and does so. Because of this I have tried booting with noapic and other than changing the way /proc/interrupts looks there seems to be no change in the problem. Eventually under usage the mouse stops responding entirely. Even looking at cat /dev/input/mice there is nothing getting there.

I have upgraded the BIOS to 1.0.3 that had no effect. And also turned off the Cool and Quiet support in the bios.

Any thoughts, recommendations of how to proceed, or any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,
Kevin

2 Posts

January 5th, 2007 15:00

Hi all,

I'm running SUSE 10.1 32bit on the E521: no mouse and keyboard issues after the bios upgrade anymore! And Linux runs on both cores with full speed. My boot parameters are: noapic acpi=noirq. I did not yet try without these boot params.

It seems that Dell had enough of our complaints in this forum ;-)

Regards,
Jürgen

3 Posts

January 5th, 2007 16:00

@jmaier wrote:
It seems that Dell had enough of our complaints in this forum ;-)

Regards,
Jürgen

It's more like I have had may too much of dell's amateurism.
What is sure is that the lab's next machines are not going to be dell's

38 Posts

January 6th, 2007 22:00

Sometimes installing under "linux ide=nodma" can get around the
hanging issue. I believe it has to do with DMA from the CD-ROM.

Message Edited by mwette on 01-06-200706:13 PM

1 Message

After updating the BIOS Knoppix runs fine on my machine, I don't have USB problem.
I was not able to install amd64 linux on e512 machine. Debian doesn't recognize teh SATA. Fedora, Ubuntu and Suse hung at while loading the kernel/initrd.

Has anyone installed a amd64 on this machine? could you guide me how to to it?

thanks

10 Posts

I installed an tried OpenSuse 10.2 and Sabayon Linux 3.2 (both 32 bit). Guess what, no more mouse or keyboard issues! Have'nt even used any kernel parameters, just a default install. Thanx 2 all of u for pointing me to the right direction.

One happy linux user...

11 Posts

January 7th, 2007 10:00

I updated an AM64 Ubuntu Edgy system, took off the Powered USB Hub and
plugged the keyboard and mouse directly into the system, and the mouse
hung in about 1 minute. I rebooted, thinking maybe a new BIOS is only
loaded at boot time (anyone know?). After rebooting it has lasted
10 minutes so far. Looking in the logs to see if I can find anything
about loading the BIOS, I found the following in syslog:

pcie_portdrv_probe->Dev[02fc:10de] has invalid IRQ. Check vendor BIOS
pcie_portdrv_probe->Dev[02fd:10de] has invalid IRQ. Check vendor BIOS

Hum.

Mouse has not hung yet, but still too early to say one way or the other...

-- Vince

11 Posts

Oh well. My mouse hung on that system. So updating Ubuntu Edgy on a C521 does not fix the problem.

How does a Linux user update the BIOS to this 1.1.4 people are talking about?

-- Vince

11 Posts

@earl92 wrote:
This Bios update can be applied from within windows or dos and applies to all OS. So just download, extract to floppy, boot from floppy and run exe. Once the pc reboots you'r on 1.1.4.

Thanks, but I don't have DOS or a Floppy. What is the next easiest way? Do I need to get FreeDOS and put it on a USB or something?

Thanks again,

-- Vince

11 Posts

>FYI, BIOS 1.1.4 has been released.

I can see a Windows release:
http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&cat=sup&cs=&k=bios+1.1.4&qmp=12&p=1&subcat=dyd&sort=K&snpsd=A&nf=&dt=&navla=&fm=&ss=&ira=False&cp1=-1&cp2=-1&si=&spf=&ssysid=&ssysn=&stag=&~srd=f

But where does a Linux user go? Or do we just update our systems from our distribution?

-- Vince

10 Posts

This Bios update can be applied from within windows or dos and applies to all OS. So just download, extract to floppy, boot from floppy and run exe. Once the pc reboots you'r on 1.1.4.

11 Posts

January 7th, 2007 11:00

Or buying a USB floppy, using FreeDOS and updating that way?

10 Posts

January 7th, 2007 13:00

Sorry,

cant help you here you'll need at least a floppy drive and dos...

6 Posts

January 7th, 2007 14:00

Not true. I ran into the same problem since I ordered the system without a floppy drive. If you have a usb pen drive you are in luck.

# wget http://www.offenders.org/freedos.img
# dd if=freedos.img of=/dev/sdb (your pendrive device)
# mkdir /mnt/usb
# mount /dev/sdb /mnt/usb
# cp DME521-010104.EXE /mnt/usb
# umount /mnt/usb

Reboot the machine and push F12, select USB device. When prompted to run Autoexec.bat, chose No. You should then be able to run the BIOS installer from the DOS prompt.

14 Posts

January 7th, 2007 15:00

Not too effective if you are running Linux and not Windows!

20 Posts

January 7th, 2007 15:00

You need no DOS and no floppy.

Just download the BIOS update, execute the .exe file from within windows and be done.
No Events found!