deegillen
1 Copper

Linux Ubuntu

I am trying to get information about the differences between the Linux Ubuntu opperating system and Microsoft windows???  I hate to sound stupid but I never heard of the Linux or Ubuntu.  Thanks to anyone who can help me.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Linux Ubuntu

deegillen,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Read this information below on Linux.

Linux

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos
Dmaster
2 Bronze

Download and create an Ubuntu live CD.  Then while in windows insert the CD and let it run, then you can choose to run Ubuntu from the CD or do an install inside your windows system.  This will allow you to try out Ubuntu and if you like it or are interested you can do a normal install or uninstall from your windows system if you don't like it.

The process is pretty straight forward and user friendly so experiment and have fun.

Dell Precision 7400 2x L5420 Xenon @2.5Ghz 8gb Ram 500gb FX1700

Dell Precision 670 Workstation 3.6GHz Dual Xeon Cpu's, 6gb Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX1700, 1.5tb of hard drive space,

Dell PowerEdge 400s P4 3.0 1gb ram 2tb

Dell Optiplex 260 P4 2.4, 2gb of ram, 1.5tb hard drive space, ATI 256mb

2x Latitude E7400, 4gb 640gb

0 Kudos
Highlighted
pbdude_123
2 Bronze

You can get more information about Ubuntu Linux here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/desktopedition

One thing to consider is that your old software like Microsoft Office can't be installed on Linux.  Ubuntu Linux comes with lots of free software included, like OpenOffice 2.4, which is Office 2003 compatible.  There are lots of free Open Source downloads for Ubuntu, but it won't run any propriatary Microsoft programs.

0 Kudos