Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

August 17th, 2008 19:00

Linux compatibility w/XPS 420

A little background.  I 1998 we bought a custom built computer from a friend.  It had Win 98, 350mhz P2, 128mb ram, 10gig HD.

Only had to replace the CDrom drive in 10 years of use.  The bugger still works but is just not up to supporting a lot of things.

So my wife bought a Dell XPS 420.  It seems to be a good machine.

The problem seems to be Vista Home Premium.  I would think that with a 240gig proccessor and 3gig ram that it would be faster than our old machine on the same connection.  Nope, about one forth the speed on a very good day.  The rest of the time about one tenth.

What I need to know is if we need to change anything in this machine to make it compatible with linux.

I have a Suse 10.3 live CD and it can not find the modem which is a Conexant D850 PCI V .92.  I thought it was interesting that when asked what prot was the location of the modem that this information is not available.  At least I could not fine it.

I know that Dell sells Ubuntu and I do have a live CD for it but it is a set up for 64 and this is a 32  machine.  Besides that the desk top looked too much like Vista to give me much confidence.

I don't much care what goes on this machine but Vista is going.

Thank You,

Cowhand

17 Posts

August 18th, 2008 06:00

Only sound card could pose a problem. If u got one with a HDA 7.1 Intel (Realtek) chip it will work just fine, on the other hand if u got one with a sound blaster audigy (software edition) i think u wont be able to get it working on Linux. But u can always install pci sound card wich are a bargain these days (except for creative labs solutions wich are generally more expensive). BTW your desktop rockZ i can not belive that Vista is running slow on that kind of beast (quad core, 3GB RAM, ATI HD2400...) I suggest u visit dell support web page and download new set of drivers (even a bios flash if u r up to it) and try to reinstall Vista (even thou i cheer 4 linux community to have one more member, lol)... The easy solution is to download Ubuntu 8.04 LTS live cd and boot it up to see if everything is supported propperly b4 installing.

32 Posts

August 18th, 2008 09:00

Most Dell computers work well with various linux distributions. The modem designed for windows may give you problems, but they are pretty cheap and it is not a lot of money lost if it does not work for you. I did not even attempt to get the modem working on my refurbished Dell and my wifes 1420N woked with Ubuntu the day we got it. There are several linux distribution and although they are very similar each one is a little different in the way it detects hardware and installs software etc. You may want to try several live desktops to see if any do better for you, unlike windows where one size firts all, the linux distribution tend to be more specific. I used Suse with the KDE 3 desktop for many years but switched to Kubuntu which Ubuntu with KDE 3 desktop. There is a KDE 4 desktop that will be better than KDE 3 but for me it's not quite ready, I do have it installed and setup to automatically upgrade so I can check it out occassionally. Ubuntu comes with the Gnome desktop, they are all similar but a little different.

There are screen shots at :  http://kubuntuforums.net/

I know, it sounds confusing but remember when there was a time you had only one phone company and it was easy making decisions, these days you must decide just want you want and which carrier is best for you, but not many people want to go back to the one size fits all phone company. Switching to linux does involve some decisions, the various live desktops allow you to get an idea what each is like before you install them. They do usually run better once installed. hang in there, try a few live cds/dvd and keep in mind the performance will improve when it is installed.

Oh yeah, you can install VirtualBox on you kubuntu/ubuntu  and have a copy of Windows XP setup ready to run as well, just in case you absolutely need XP for something special. With a little work you can actuall save the virtual hard disk with XP and use it on any computer running VirtualBox - never again have to worry about you XP install when you change computers.

Message Edited by PaJoe on 08-18-2008 06:08 AM

10 Posts

August 18th, 2008 12:00

This all sounds great.

My "dreaded mother in law" has simple Vista on her machine and it is slow too.

I have dug around in this a little and there is just too much stuff to believe on this OS.  It could be that I should have experienced the interviening releases of windows but jumping from 98 to Vista is not an uplifting experience.  Non of the few good things are there anymore and all the really bad things have been "improved".

I was afraid I may have to gut this machine and replace a lot of stuff.

I have the Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS disc.  There is no way that we could down load it on this machine.  Have never suceeded in updating the included security.

Niether Ubuntu or Suse 10.3 KDE can find the modem.

Thanks,

Cowhand

10 Posts

August 18th, 2008 12:00

I have never seen Kubuntu but niether of the live cd releases that I have can find the modem on this machine.  I may just try another.

My son is unfortunately several states away but he loves Linux and he seems to have several on his machine that together do not  take up the room that Vista does and he seems to think they will do everything MS will do.

From looking at the Live CDs and trying the off line stuff out I think they are better.

I need Windows for my Olympus camera program and a support guy at olympus claimed he used Linux at home and that thier program would not work on anything else so that is fine.

What I thought I would do, not needing this program often was just put in another HD and unplug the HD with Vista on it.  Plug it in when needed, unplugging Linux.

I have several IDE HDs and figure that I can get a USB adapter and use one as an external to hold photos accessable to both systems.

I am so happy with Vista that I do not want to have a dual boot at  all and I can update the camera on my "dreaded mother in laws" machine.  She has DSL and it is a big improvement over our dial up.  Dial up is all that is available this far out.

I work as a ranch hand in SE Montana and ther are a lot more cows than people.  Cell phones are an amusing thing that people carry in this area for no reason.  No one is silly enough to put a tower anywhere near here, it would never pay for itself.

Thanks,

Cowhand

32 Posts

August 19th, 2008 08:00

I don't think you will get your modem working and if you are on dial up you will not be able to download many cds to try. It sounds like a "Win-Modem" designed for windows only. They use the computer's processor to do most of the processing work, saves money but not as good as a regular modem. If you really want to use linux you may need to buy another modem.

If you want to use linux, I recommend you check for a  local linux users group, they are usually great people and will set up your system for you for a simple "thanks". Most every Linux Users Group I have dealt with were friendly and had a wide range of people, some brand new linuyx users just starting out and some that are actually managing networks. They will also show you how to use it. There are places that will send you a cd but the local users groups will have them all and the expertise to actually make things work.

Running some native Windows programs on linux is not easy, but there are usually linux alternatives to access cameras and other items of that nature. For really difficult items that require specifice windows software there is software such as VirtualBox that allows you to install Windows Xp on your system inside a virtual hard drive, it runs just like it does on a regualr computer but inside linux.

Most local dealers that sell computers do NOT know much about linux and will lead you down the wrong path because they make their money selling windows related products. I get angry every time i walk into a local pc store and the salesperson pretends to know about linux but gives me information I know is not accurate. 

I also know how hard it is to get a son to come home to help with a computer, they are some times just too busy.

Message Edited by PaJoe on 08-19-2008 06:07 AM

10 Posts

August 19th, 2008 13:00

PaJoe - I got my CDs throught the mail from LinuxCD.org.  This machine is too slow to download upgrades for the security programs on the modem.  I had no trouble with the old computer.

Yes I believe that I need a different modem.  I am not sure what to get.  It does not have to be compatible with windows but probably should be compatible with linux and this machine.

I got a kick out of your suggestion about "local" Linux users.  Unless your definition of local is diferent than mine, this is not likely.  The nearest town, pop 500, is 54 miles away and only 50 of that is dirt.  About 75 minutes if you want to have tires when you get there.

As for closer to the ranch, I know all the folks for a 25 mile radius quite well.  We are each others first responders for wild fire and such social occassions.  We brand calves together.  Not real enthusiastic computer users although some do have them.  They are all using XP at the moment.  They generally take one to town - Sheridan, WY - for repair or call me.  Sheridan by the way is 80 miles, about 2.5 hours, only 60 miles of rough dirt road.

I am not concerned with running any program ment for windows on this machine.  I can turn it back into a Vista machine by simply pluging in the current HD when I need it.  This is not tough and avoids all MS problems altogether.  I have had it with them.

I may just have to try several modems to find one that works.

Believe it or not, we do a lot shopping online.  Saves on tires and gas and time.  The PO is the most reliable delivery we get, but we do get mail 3 times a week.

Cowhand 

202 Posts

August 20th, 2008 09:00

Linux Works Just Fine With My Dell XPS 630I So It Should Work Just Fine With Your Dell XPS 420 As Well.

78 Posts

August 20th, 2008 17:00

@Cowhand wrote:

Yes I believe that I need a different modem.  I am not sure what to get.  It does not have to be compatible with windows but probably should be compatible with linux and this machine.

There is a super easy method of getting a modem that works no matter what machine you run is to get an external, serial port modem.  You can plug those into windows, linux, amiga, Commodore 64, PDP-11, doesn't matter. 

And thank you for allowing me to use a PDP-11 reference today.

78 Posts

@Cowhand wrote:

I need Windows for my Olympus camera program and a support guy at olympus claimed he used Linux at home and that thier program would not work on anything else so that is fine.

You do not need the Olympus software for accessing the pictures on the camera, however.  My son has an Olympus camera plugged into his Mac, I have it on my Dell running Kubuntu, no problems.  The device shows up on the desktop as a mass storage device.

78 Posts

@Downix wrote:

@Cowhand wrote:

There is a super easy method of getting a modem that works no matter what machine you run is to get an external, serial port modem.  You can plug those into windows, linux, amiga, Commodore 64, PDP-11, doesn't matter. 

And thank you for allowing me to use a PDP-11 reference today.

Ok, checked on the 420, doesn't have an externally available serial port.  Would have to get a serial port PCI card first.  Sorry about that.

10 Posts

August 20th, 2008 21:00

Downix,

I actually thought there was a serial conection but it is a VGA monitor conection.

The modem is modular so there is no problem plugin in another one if I need to.  It

plugs into a PCI connector and there are actually 2 of them right there so I could possibly just plug in a second one or a serial card for an external.  Must still find a recomendation for a brand of modem.

The one from my 10 year old machine is not compatible with the new board at all.

From what I can see I can get another comparible HD and another modem for less than 100 bucks (less shipping).  This seems very reasonable concidering what you pay for one of these and the bonus of loosing Vista.

Kind of like Dylans song Memphis Blues Again - "Here I  sit wondering how I must pay to get out of going through all this twice."  Vista and MS security and endless patches that still leave gaping holes for MS information collection have got to go.  An HD and modem is cheap.

I called Dell Ubuntu support, the guy spoke mainly understandable english (which is good because it is the only one I speak), and he said that Ubuntu would probably find the modem if it was installed.  I will find out when I get a HD.

I am a ranch hand.  Buying this computer was a major blow to the budget.  We can swing 100 bucks after I get paid at the end of the month.  I think I am going to get a WD HD as my old machine still runs on the 10 year old 10 gig that came with it.  All components cost more then than now by a good bit.

Thanks,

Cowhand

10 Posts

August 20th, 2008 21:00

Downix,

I don't need Olympus master to download pictures.  I never poug the camera in to do this.  I have an E-500.  This is a beginners DSLR.  I need the program to update the camera.  It is also a pretty good editer  and will deal with RAW format.

I checked photos will running both Ubuntu and Suse from CD and they both work great and certainly have no trouble identifying the card readers on this machine.

I checked the WineHQ site and found that Olypus Master (not OM2) would not even load on Wine.  This is a bummer.  I also checked the Gimp site and found that while it is not Photo Shop (which I do not have but will run on Wine) it is probably better than my skill as editor.  It does not appear to support RAW, but will support TIFF.  It will also run on Vista and I am trying to get it and the install app to try it on this set up.

The advantage of using the Olympus program is that you can edit and still have all the printing instructions that are actually the main thing that makes the picture files so large but make them print so much better.  If all you want is to have them on your computer this is a massive waste of space.  If you take a picture from the camera and want a smaller file just do any editting such as enlarging or decreasing size by 1%, tweak the color or exposure (lighten or darken) imperseptably.  Anything you do will remove all printing instructions and will dramatically reduce file size making them more portable on removeable storage or to email or just store.

If I can find a good editor I will just edit copies and update from the "dreaded mother in laws" computer.  She is, by the way, a great gal.

Thanks,

Cowhand 

32 Posts

August 21st, 2008 01:00

It looks like you are getting plenty of useful suggestions, I found an archived thread for setting up a Conexant modem that may be of interest

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-190728.html

Setting up a modem is not as easy as using an existing  network connection, and the external modem with a serial port is the best choice. Do your best to avoid any type of "Win-modem" a modem designed for Windows, and many pci and usb modems are win-modems. A very experienced linux user could set it all up in a short time, but someone starting out may have to work at it.

Another idea is to have your old computer handle the phone connection and network through it, my son did that with his dsl for a few years. He had an old computer with linux set up to handle the dsl and networked through it with his windows computer, it gave him a little better firewall.  

78 Posts

August 21st, 2008 10:00

I have found that it is very difficult to find PCI cards with an actual controller built in, the majority use the CPU for it so you a) have driver issues and b) reduce your system performance.  Hence why I use an external serial based modem, as since serial ports lack the bandwidth, you have to have the controller inside the unit.

Linux might find the pci card once installed to boot, so I don't know. 

An alternative for your Olympus would be to use a virtualization program (like VMware) to run Windows for those few apps you need.  (btw, great camera, especially the two lens kit package)

Message Edited by Downix on 08-21-2008 06:46 AM

10 Posts

August 21st, 2008 22:00

PaJoe

Yes, a lot of real helpful folks.

Could not have keep my Win 98 machine running without the PC newbe list.  Great folks there even if they really love MS.

Your link looks interesting and may be REAL helpful if for nothing besides giving me an idea how to navigate through Linux.

The idea of funning through my old machine is awfully interesting.  I am not sure that we have room to do that or a good enough power supply but is not something I had even concidered.

Thanks,

Cowhand

No Events found!