Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2007 04:00

Linux on Vostro

Hi, Have anyone tried to install Linux on Dell Vostro? Any problems at all? Any recommendations you would give a newbie want to do so? Thanks,

2 Posts

August 9th, 2007 01:00

I have not had much luck with Linux with the Vostro 1500 at this time. I have been able to get Ubuntu to run from Live CD with some xorg.conf tweaking. I could not get Fedora to see the CDROM drive, and Sabayon ran, but slowly. I think some of the components are too new as of yet for an easy install. Any others?

7 Posts

August 9th, 2007 02:00

I didn't even get the Ubuntu Live CD running. Folks on Ubuntu forum gave some solutions, but none worked for me. However, there's hope since I saw there's a session call "drivers for Ubuntu" on Dell's website. I haven't had the time to play with the computer much, but I hope that install a "text-only" version of Ubuntu first, then upgrade the graphic card driver and stuffs may help.

6 Posts

August 10th, 2007 21:00

There is a Vostro how-to on the Ubuntu forums link

3 Posts

August 10th, 2007 21:00

Actually, this is the reason why I came to this forum. I tried to install 3 versions of Linux (Debian, Ubuntu and Knoppix) and even though I tweaked the BIOS to make the laptop boot from CD, it won't. It goes to the CD, waits a couple of secs and, BAM! it boots Windows (XP).
I would like to highlight these are all ORIGINAL CDs I have been able to boot on other machines.
Does anybody have an explanation/solution for this behavior?

thanks,

G

3 Posts

August 10th, 2007 22:00

Thanks!
Unfortunately, I don't get this far, since my machine won't open the Ubuntu install CD...

2 Posts

August 11th, 2007 12:00

If you are using the Gutsy 7.10 cd's, I too have had NO luck getting them to boot. The 7.04 Feisty version is the one that I have the most luck with, and can get to boot . Now if I could only set up the partitions the way I would like! ;) BTW, does anyone know what the 2.5G hidden partition is? Can I delete it? I know it is not the recovery OS partition, so can I safely delete it, or is it necessary for some reason.

4 Posts

August 13th, 2007 10:00

The only Linux and the only live CD I got working on my Vostro 1500 is PCLinuxOS 2007. SAM Linux which is based on PCLinuxOS also works but PCLinuxOS looks better. The vesa video is at very low resolution but I haven't installed the system to the hard drive or the 3d drivers. I haven't tried wi-fi and doubt it works on the live CD. I have the Nvidia 8600M GT graphics and the Intel 4965 N wi-fi card. No bluetooth and no webcam. I have the lowest resolution display with anti glare. The processor is 2.2 Ghz and I have 4GB of memory. I didn't check the sound but I doubt it works. The people that do have sound working on the Vostro in Linux report poor or low quality sound. Message Edited by Troepie on 08-13-2007 06:35 AM

Message Edited by Troepie on 08-13-2007 06:36 AM

4 Posts

August 13th, 2007 12:00

I just tried the Bluewhite64 12.0 live DVD and it works except the sound. The live DVD does not have an installer.

3 Posts

August 13th, 2007 16:00

I solved the Partitions "issue" with Partition Magic. I have been using since I installed Fedora and it works like a breeze. I highly recommend it, I found it for about $20 and it's well worth it.

G

4 Posts

August 16th, 2007 00:00

Just installed the just released latest version of Sidux Linux on my Vostro 1500. So far it's the only Linux that recognizes all the new hardware on in the Vostro notebook. Both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions work for internet things like Flash Player it's best to use the 32 bit version as there is no 64 bit version.

2 Posts

December 24th, 2007 19:00

I bought a Vostro 1000 on a special promotion about a month ago. I was looking to get a new inexpensive machine, just so I could play with ubuntu. My machine is not too special and it has the Broadcom wireless card as well and the regular broadcam wired card. My machine came with XP home, but I really didn't care because I was hoping to end up with a Microsoft free computer.

I expected to have a bit of a challenge but to be honest the Ubuntu install was easier than the first versions of Windows XP or even '95. After figuring out the various partion requirements, the install went smoothly. Both the Broadcom wireless and the ATI card in the Vostro have restricted drivers now and once they where installed they worked very well. I had to load up a bunch of plugins for Firefox and Wine (windows emulator) doesn't seem to like network drives. The only issues that I currntly have is running DVD movies (CCD ecryption issues) and figuring out the current setting for the VPN login on the srver at work.

The machine is fast, uses only 128meg of the 1 gig ram and I was even able to adjust partition sizes after the operating system had been installed.

In short, I love my new computer and I prefer to use it over my older XP pro desktop. I don't think you will have any major issues with your install, but I suspect that your support from Dell will not be very easy should your hardware break. From what I can tell the Vostros appear to be a bit better built than the Inspirons; even thought they are in the same basic case. The all black color scheme fitting in well with counter culture feel of Ubuntu as well.

A few words about the UBUNTU install on the VOSTRO 1000.

1. I downloaded 7.10 for x86 proccesors from the University of Minnesota site.

2. You need to burn the downloaded file as an IMAGE onto a CD. You may need some software to do this. The UBUNTU site has a link to a free program for it.

3. Boot from the CD.

4. You can run UBUNTU in a safe mode to evaluate it. The CD can also be used to repair or change partions after you finish your install.

5. Almost all the add ons you need can be added with with ADD/Remove software selection under Applications.

6. Some Linux programs (like Google Earth) have to be loaded using the terminal; but that's part of the challenge.

7. One last thing: you really don't need a super high test machine to run this system. It uses very little overhead and if you have a dual core (Athlon X2 in my caes) both processors will be used all the time.

1 Message

July 10th, 2021 12:00

Linux Mint 20.1 works great. Mintmenu uses too much resources and crashes, so I use the Classic Menu. No problems. As a matter of fact I am using my Vostro 1500 right now to type this.

I changed my wireless card years ago to a wireless N, while still using XP,

The Vostro Bluetooth doesn't work, so I use a tiny USB Bluetooth that worked as soon as I plugged it in.

I installed single boot, because running Windows on this makes no sense.

I am happy with it and use it every day.

I originally installed Mint on my slow Vostro, to see if I would like it enough to replace the OS on a much newer HP laptop.

It does office, basic games YouTube and Netflix (Netflix a bit jittery to start, then it clears up)

I like it a lot. The OS and software are free. Next is my HP laptop. I will do the best windows 10 upgrade ever to Linux Mint. goodbye Mr. Gates

No Events found!