Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2009 16:00

Mini 9 Ubuntu not updating properly

I have a new Mini 9 with Ubuntu 8.04.1 installed.  I also have a Toshiba laptop that has been running Ubuntu since May 2007.  It has 8.04.2, now, performing very well. 

The update manager on the Mini-9 returns an error message when it tries to check for new updates citing not being able to fetch 17 packages.  The same error occurs when I reload the package manager.   The update manager also does not allow me to preview the available updates not giving me the option to deselect any that I do not wish to update.   It does allow me the option of installing the updates or canceling The up-date manager also does not show that the upgrade to 8.04.2 is available.

I have all the Ubuntu repositories checked except for source code, all the dell third party repositories boxes are checked as well.  I have been leaving the updates for long term releases enabled.  Setting this to normal releases reasons makes no difference in the manager's behavior, no mention of 8.10.

I have spoke with a Dell Ubuntu support about this problem.  The gentleman was very nice in explaining  to me how to do the updates.  However, I think he missed the point.  It is not doing what it should be doing.  I consider myself an advanced beginner user of Ubuntu.  I am also learning the command line and have done some installing and updating with apt-get on the Toshiba.

He also told me I should never update over wifi as this may corrupt the system.  I have frequently updated the Toshiba on wifi with no apparent problems.  I have not read about this anywhere.  When I first used the Mini I was hooked to the internet on a friend's wifi system in their house.  I was the only one on it at the time.  Any chance this could have caused this problem?

Another problem that may or may not be related is that I had put a game on full screen and it will not revert to normal mode.  The game plays normally and closes with key stroke shortcuts.

Would it be advisable to wipe the Dell clean and do a fresh install with 8.04.2?  First, before I can do that, I will need to resolve the problem I am having with the I/O Magic DVD read/writer that I had purchased with the Mini.  I may run another thread on that problem.

All in all, I like the Mini-9.  It seems to be good computer and will fit my needs for a light weight compter to take to internet cafes when I am at anchor.

28 Posts

February 4th, 2009 06:00

Have you tried updating through the terminal?

Gnome:

GNOME Main Menu => Programs => System => GNOME Terminal

KDE:

KDE Main Menu => System => Shell

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

Post logs here to see if anything went wrong

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Also try going to update REPOSITORIES

Gnome:

GNOME Main Menu =>  System =>Administration => Synaptic Package Manager => Settings -> Repositories

KDE:

KDE Main Menu => System => Administration => Synaptic Package Manager => Settings -> Repositories

Make sure everything in the 1st Tab is click and that the server is set to MAIN and not Canada or USA, etc

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are trying to update to 8.10

Open a terminal(explained in section 1)

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

February 4th, 2009 09:00

Thanks for the reminder about apt-get.  I tried as you suggested but still received error messages for up dates and there wasno action taken for upgrade.  I have triple checked the repositories and they are as they should be.  I have compared it to my Toshiba, every thing is the same except for the Dell third party repositories which are checked.  I do not know whether I should try a fresh install, but that will have to wait until I resolve my dvd writer issues.

Thanks again,

Jim

28 Posts

February 4th, 2009 13:00

try:

sudo apt-get autoclean

sudo apt-get check

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install -f           <--------Fixes broken packages

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade     <--Only if you want to upgrade to 8.10

Please post logs here, it's hard to give support w/o seeing the messages

(you may have to increase scroll back on the terminal, which is found in Edit>Profile, default is 2000 I think)

February 5th, 2009 11:00

I noticed a type error in my replay.  The second sentence shoub be:  "... with no postive results."

jim

February 5th, 2009 11:00

Thanks James.  I tried the apt-get sequence you gave with positive results.  It still failed to find the packages.  The -f option gave me a help page and both upgrade options were not able to upgrade the system. 

I am beginning to suspect that there maybe a configuration problem with the update manager or even the system.  I a couple weeks I should be able to get a usb cd/dvd writer down to me in order to try reinstalling Ubuntu.

Anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated or even other resources where I may be able to research to find at least a cause if not a solution.  Fortunately I am a dedicated Ubuntu user and just consider this as another exercise in my computer learning curve.  I am pleased otherwise with the computer and the response form the Dell/Linux community.

Thanks again, Jim

28 Posts

February 5th, 2009 13:00

In your software sources it should look like this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IntrepidUpgrades?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=intrepid_upgrade2.png

and check for updates via update-manager(if you are trying to get to 8.10) if there is still no mention about 8.10

go to terminal/shell or press: alt+F2

GNOME:

gksudo update-manager --dist-upgrade

KDE:

kdesudo adept_manager --dist-upgrade-devel

and it should force to check for it

28 Posts

February 5th, 2009 15:00

I think I know why upgrading to 8.10 doesn't work. The version that you have 8.04.1 or 8.04.2 is a custom interface tweaked by dell. You might not be able to upgrade for a couple of weeks

Source:

http://www.ideastorm.com/ideaView?id=087700000000FclAAE

February 13th, 2009 13:00

I was able to borrow an external optical drive and successfully reinstalled Hardy Heron.  The I/O Magic drive is faulty and unuseable for booting from a live CD or DVD.   Unfortunately the DVD supplied by Dell is for 8.04 so I have taken a step backward from 8.04.1. 

I was able to update it using a lan connection.  Using lan as opposed to wifi for the updates made no difference as the problem still exists.

I am going to look locally, here in Mazatlán, Mexico, for a new external optical drive.  Otherwise I will have to wait for a friend to carry one down from the US.  I will then try to install  either  8.10 or 8.04.2 (which I used to reinstall Ubuntu on my Toshiba).

I will post a new thread for the result of the install unless there is a reason I should post it here.

Thank you all very much.

Jim

No Events found!