I wanted to install ubuntu12.04 on my dell inspiron 15R. Currently it has win 8 but I need dual operating system Win 8 and Ubuntu 12.04, Need help in setting up the bios on 15R to detect my Ubuntu installation disc. I was not able to set the bios properly to detect my installation disc.
You will need to boot from ”CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive” to start the installation of Ubuntu. Please follow the steps to boot from the installation disk:
1. Insert the disk in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.
2. Start tapping the “F12” key at the Dell logo to load the One-Time Boot Menu.
3. On the One-Time Boot Menu page, navigate to “CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive” and press Enter.
4. Installation of Ubuntu should now start. Please press any key on the keyboard if you receive the “Press any key to continue….” message on the screen.
I hope this helps to install Ubuntu and please note that Dell does not support multi-boot and recommend you to backup important data before starting the installation.
the reason it wont work is because for to have dual boot with windows and linux, you need primary and extended partition. as dell creates factory image at the end of hard drive, entire partitioning falls under primary and extended can not be created. so linux setup will not recognize windows installation and it will screw everything. only ways to delete or move the recovery partition but even burning recovery dics is not working.
Some of you guys shouldn't give advice without checking your facts first. A good number of Linux, Unix and Debian based distros will now install alongside Windows 7/8 with no fuss at all.
No need for partitions or anything and they'll get along happily with microsoft o/s.
I have similar problem. This March I bought an Inspiron 3521 with preinstalled windows 8. I made a system-backup of it on four DVDs. After this I tried to install Ubuntu 12.04.2 AMD64, for dual boot. First I shrinked the partition within windows, after this i installed Ubuntu. In partitioning menu of ubuntu I have seen several (three) possibilities for installing but I made something wrong, because I couldn't boot neither- nor.
I took the backup DVDs, and had my Windows 8 system installed again. There were no problems detected.
Since I have done this (new installation from backup DVDs), I have some problems:
- if I try to install (the same) ubuntu, at partitioning windows 8 is not detected as a bootable system.
- I tried to start Dell PC Diagnostics - Full, but a few seconds after the start of the program prompted: "The Diagnostics Control attempted to launch an application and the process failed to start."
- some days ago I got a new version of dell to backup/restore. I installed it, and tried to make a new backup, but at the end of the first DVD there was an "error occured" message (no more information) and the backup was cancelled. I tried it with two other DVD-s from two different packages, but without success.
I have no idea what i have to do in order to install ubuntu as a second OS. Help is very much appreciated.