Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2011 12:00

N7110 + Ubuntu 11.10

Hi,

I'm having problems installing Ubuntu 11.10 on my Inspiron N7110. The BIOS version is A07. What happens is that after booting from USB (or CD, doesn't matter), and then showing the purple screen with the small logo at the bottom, the screen goes black and stays there forever. Now if I press any key in the purple screen, I can enter the installer options, press F6 and select acpi=off. This solves the problem completely, but I consider that a hack and I would like to install Ubuntu out of the box.

Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 30th, 2011 07:00

20 Posts

November 30th, 2011 08:00

I tried that option but I got the same problem. Only acpi=off seems to work.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 30th, 2011 10:00

I am saying follow the same procedure for adding a boot option of acpi=off.

20 Posts

December 1st, 2011 09:00

Ok, I see what you mean. But what I meant was that I consider adding acpi=off (whether you make a USB drive with that option hard coded or whether you type it manually) not very elegant. Maybe there is a BIOS problem with acpi that could be solved with a new BIOS patch or something like that.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 1st, 2011 09:00

Ok, I see what you mean. But what I meant was that I consider adding acpi=off (whether you make a USB drive with that option hard coded or whether you type it manually) not very elegant. Maybe there is a BIOS problem with acpi that could be solved with a new BIOS patch or something like that.

You're still not understanding what that linked webpage is telling you.

20 Posts

December 2nd, 2011 04:00

Anyway, the person in the link has a problem after installing Ubuntu, not at the start of the installation, so I don't know what the linked page has to do with my problem.

20 Posts

December 2nd, 2011 04:00

So what of the three answers of the link is the correct one?

20 Posts

December 2nd, 2011 09:00

Sorry but Linux *IS* for me. Been using it for 5 years, installing every Ubuntu distribution in my previous laptop without any problems. Anyway, thanks for your help...

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Anyway, the person in the link has a problem after installing Ubuntu, not at the start of the installation, so I don't know what the linked page has to do with my problem.

Well, since having a boot option is considered by you to be a "hack". Then you had better stick with Windows then. Linux is not for you.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Sorry but Linux *IS* for me. Been using it for 5 years, installing every Ubuntu distribution in my previous laptop without any problems. Anyway, thanks for your help...

It sure doesn't sound like Linux is for you. It requires the ability to "go with the flow' which you apparently are unwilling to do. Hence, Linux is not for you.

If you want something out of the box, stick with preinstalled Windows 7.

20 Posts

December 2nd, 2011 14:00

I'll repeat one more time. Linux is for me, and I probably give it a better use than you do. It's not a problem with Linux, which has always installed correctly in my previous machine, something you seem unable to grasp.

Regarding that "go with the flow argument", well, I don't know what to respond to such a silly statement. And no, I won't stick to Windows 7 except when I'm forced to do some work on it.

Thanks for your help one more time...

20 Posts

December 2nd, 2011 14:00

Just one more clarification.

I started this thread to get assistance from an expert (telling me for example that the acpi errors could be solved with a BIOS update) or to know if another N7110 user with BIOS A07 could replicate the problem.

So if you are a troll, please abstain from posting in this thread, find another one.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 2nd, 2011 16:00

You seem to expect everything to fall into your lap with Linux.

Well, it doesn't work that way.

Some things break with every single release.

If you can't wrap your head around this concept, I repeat. Linux is not for you.

And if you want help with Ubuntu, go to the Ubuntu forums. There are plenty of people who can help.

However, if you act the way there as youj do here, then you will end up with the same results.

20 Posts

December 2nd, 2011 23:00

Hmm, looks like my clarification wasn't understood by everybody. Oh well... Is there an ignore list feature in this forum?

(Note to self: don't feed the repeating troll)

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 3rd, 2011 11:00

Hmm, looks like my clarification wasn't understood by everybody. Oh well... Is there an ignore list feature in this forum?

(Note to self: don't feed the repeating troll)

RTOFL

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

What is one to do????

No Events found!