Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2010 09:00

Reinstalling Windows 7 (dual boot) after Ubuntu install

Hi,

I've just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my brand new Dell Inspiron 1440 and everything is working great... The only problem I met during the installation was with the impossibility to resize the Win 7 partition within the Ubuntu installer (I now know that I should have done that within Win 7...), so I deleted the Win 7 partition completely, keeping the 15Gb recovery partition intact.

I'm a long time steady Ubuntu user, so I rarely have the need to boot into Windows, but I do like to have it available, just in case...  Now here's my questions:

• I've tried to boot into the recovery partition (using Grub) and see what kind of Windows 7 reinstallation/recovery options is offered.  I've tried with the various options, and I always get an error message, i.e. the process can't be performed.  I've also tried the F8  at boot time, based on what Dell is recommending, but it's not working (I suspect that's because Grub is installed on the MBR).  Someone has a clue on what I should do to proceed to a Win 7 reinstallation/recovery?
  • If I ever find the way to proceed to a Win 7 reinstallation/recovery, is there any chance that I could do it without deleting my current Ubuntu partition?  I've read that it's possible with a Win 7 installation DVD, but I wonder if it could work with an installation based on the Dell recovery partition...

Thanks in advance for any help.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 15th, 2010 12:00

Google to see how to remove Grub from MBR.

If Win7 is like all the other Windows, when you re-install it, it will wipe out Ubuntu.

March 15th, 2010 14:00

Thanks for your reply.

If I remove Grub from MBR, I won't be able to boot anything...!  The solution (to be able to use the F8 option) could be to replace Grub by the original Win 7 boot loader, but how to do this?

I've read on some sites that Win 7 is different than previous versions in that you can choose, at installation time, on which partition you want to install it, avoiding the need of a complete hard disk wipe.  My question is if the Dell Win7 recovery process is performing like a "regular" Win 7 DVD installation, allowing this kind of choice or if it's a complete "hard disk recovery", wiping everything?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 15th, 2010 16:00

You'll want to ask these questions over on the Microsoft OS message board.

I don't have Windows 7.

3.7K Posts

March 17th, 2010 04:00

Hi, Found this for you HERE, and check out these posts as well HERE.

March 18th, 2010 05:00

Thanks a lot.  I'll take a look at this.

No Events found!