Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Message

March 2nd, 2019 04:00

U2715H, Debian 9, unable to have 2560x1440 resolution

Hello,

I have installed the Debian 9 on my pc equipped with an Nvidia GeForce 520 video card. I'm not able to have the resolution specified. I have seen that it's common problem and the first thing to do is to make sure that the HDMI cable is 4k. So I've bought a new one but nothing changed and I don't know what to try next. Anyone experienced and fixed this problem?

Thanks!

14 Posts

March 7th, 2019 06:00

I had a similar problem with Arch Linux and it turned out to be a driver issue. Please open a terminal and paste the results of

lspci -k | grep -A 2 -E "(VGA|3D)"

That will let you know if you are using the correct drivers for the nvidia card. If you are not, you may have to install the new drivers (not 100% sure how you'd do that in Debian but it's been around long enough there's surely a guide for installing nvidia drivers somewhere).

If you're already using the most updated Nvidia drivers for your system, then the problem is that the system simply is not listing that particular resolution. If you are certain that the resolution is supported by your video card, then look into using xRandR to adjust the resolution and add the new resolution to the list.

This guide HERE is for Arch-Linux, but if you can install xorg-xrandr on debain, i'm sure it'll work just the same.

That's the process I had to work through in order to get the proper display resolution on my Dell Inspiron 15R with Nvidia GeForce GT 525M.  Make sure that if you install a new kernel module for your graphics that you disable and uninstall the previous drivers, as the conflict may cause a black screen on boot.

No Events found!