Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 14:00

Ubuntu 8.10 (64bit) And my XPS M1730

I have a overheating problem, it got so hot today it shut my laptop down. I tried to find the i8k for it, but couldn't. it wasn't in the gkrellm selection or anywhere else I can see. But before you start talking Linux to me, understand that I speak Vista only. I have only been playing with Linux for a week or two, and finally found a version I can stick on my second HD. And I only had it installed for about 24 hours. So please you can help, please do, but understand that you are speaking to someone who hasn't handled Linux very long. From what I can see, Linux isn't a whole lot different than DOS was. But it has been years since I had to use DOS commands. I need someway to keep my laptop cool!!!!

51 Posts

November 22nd, 2008 09:00

Linux is similar to DOS only in the most superficial sense that they both have command line interpriters. Beyond that they are totally different. But if you're using the command line then I have to ask why? Ubuntu 8.10 comes with the latest version of the Gnome desktop environment and that should start automatically.

As for your over heating problem. You might find this thread over on Ubuntu forums to be of help.

808 Posts

December 31st, 2008 07:00

Thanks for the reply, I have given up on Ubuntu and Linux altogether. Decided to stay with Vista. Too much of a learning curve to deal with. But I appreciate the help I have been getting. Hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

January 11th, 2009 10:00

I hope you'll give it another try sometime! I'd suggest using the 32 bit version, which works great, at least for starters. The learning curve shouldn't be too steep, since everything pretty much works out of the box. I bought the m1530 with Ubuntu preinstalled, and it runs cool, quiet, and smooth. Couldn't be happier!

No Events found!