Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2009 08:00

Ubuntu 9.10 Dell factory Recovery ISO link

Hi, What it is, i have gone and lost the link for the Ubuntu 9.10 Dell Factory Recovery ISO link. I know it's 1.3GB in size, but I cant find it.

940 Posts

November 18th, 2009 10:00

I have not seen the link for 9.10 but here is the link for 9.04. http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/linux/ubuntu-9-04-dell-factory-recovery-iso.aspx  If you locate the link for 9.10 please let me know.

3.7K Posts

November 18th, 2009 10:00

Hi, Found this link here,

http://linux.dell.com/files/ubuntu/karmic/iso-images/ubuntu-9.10-dell_X01.iso

I got it from this post here,

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19298944.aspx

Does look like the right one, it's 1.5GB, though it was not the one I seen earlier.

3.7K Posts

November 30th, 2009 06:00

bad link am afraid

Hi, It is now. The link has been removed, why, I dont know.

17 Posts

November 30th, 2009 06:00

bad link am afraid

17 Posts

November 30th, 2009 16:00

Hi Robin,

Check the following links out. One relates to the other and the second one is referred from the first but I just wanted to make it easier.

Think you can get all your ISO's from here.

http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/linux/building-base-ubuntu-factory-iso.aspx

https://launchpad.net/dell-recovery

I hope this was useful.

The Hungry Wolf

202 Posts

December 5th, 2009 21:00

They have now put up a page saying that they are still working on creating a final copy of Dell OEM Ubuntu 9.10, Just FYI.

P.S. The previous link was based on their Alpha Builds if I am correct (Take a look at the Date and Time of the First Post), Just FYI.

21 Posts

December 7th, 2009 15:00

I got the Dell_X02 from Mario on the Internet just before they pulled it  They don't recommend it,  but it works.  I think they would rather you build your own from this link:  http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/linux/building-base-ubuntu-factory-iso.aspx  I searched the net with several search engines and cannot find a newer version.

2 Posts

December 27th, 2009 22:00

I built a 9.10 Dell recovery DVD (64-bit) for my Dell Inspiron 1545 (2 cpus). I have tried the LiveCDs (both 32 bit and 64-bit) and the DVDs. The 1545 apparently boots - I can hear the start up tune - but I never get a display on the LCD panel. The same exact thing happens with the Dell recovery DVD. If I attach an external monitor and use safe graphics mode and turn off off apic etc., then I can see more of the boot process but eventually the display disappears even on the external monitor. I cannot get to a console. This is very strange as the 1545 has 9.04 (32-bit) installed and everything (wifi, external display, LCD panel, webcam, etc.) works. (When I upgraded from 8.04 or whatever it came with, I did not realize I could keep the Dell parts and I didn't realize that the cpus are 64-bit.)

I'm of course afraid to install 9.10 or upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 given I cannot boot from a 9.10 CD or DVD of any kind. I'm not sure what else to try. I was able to boot the Fedora 12 LiveCD but typically things are so much easier using Ubuntu. I've installed or upgraded to 9.10 on 4 other computers. On only one of these (HP 2133) did the computer fail to boot after the upgrade - but I was able to boot the LiveCD and do a new install that booted and works perfectly.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them. I'm at a dead end otherwise.

21 Posts

December 28th, 2009 08:00

I'm not sure why you cannot boot from your recovery disk, but, you would have to boot from the live CD to attempt to install 9.10.  Upgrades are not recommended by most of the forums I have read.  Are the other computers able to boot from the same live CD you are using now?  If not then it might be the Live CD that is at fault.  Another possibility is, if you do manage to boot from a live CD you could install 9.10 side by side with your 9.04 version and work your 9.10 into shape, even copying files from your home folder in 9.04 into it.  It would dual boot and you would have a choice in Grub at startup.

39 Posts

December 31st, 2009 08:00

I had to add the "nomodeset" to the end of the grub line to get mine to install.

Works fine now, running 9.10 64bit on Dell Inspiron 1501 with 2gb ram

2 Posts

January 12th, 2010 19:00

On the contrary, upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10 IS recommended by Ubuntu. I've done it successfully on three systems (both 32-bit and 64-bit). But that is NOT my problem. On the Dell Inspiron 1545 before even thinking of trying to upgrade from 9.04, I had tried to just boot the notebook from the Ubuntu 9.10 LiveCD. I've tried both the 32-bit and 64-bit CD's and DVD's (ones that other computers could boot without problem). As far as I can tell, the notebook DOES boot - I just cannot get the LCD panel or external VGA to display. (I can hear the start up tune so it must be booting.) The Dell runs 9.04 perfectly. I've asked on countless forums and mailing lists and have received almost no response of any kind, and the few I have received have not been of any help. For example, one person suggested creating a DELL recovery 9.10 Ubuntu DVD. I did this but it behaves in the same manner.

No one seems to have any clue as to booting in text mode (without an X server). I've tried just about every option I can think of to boot into a text console but so far absolutely no luck. Surely someone must know how to boot into just a text terminal? If I could do that then I might have a shot at figuring out what is wrong with the display. Fedora 12 LiveCD boots normally but no luck with Ubuntu 9.10.

202 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 12:00

I CREATED MY DELL OEM RECOVERY DISK USING THE DISK BUILDER TOOL AND MY OFFICIAL UBUNTU 9.10 CD THAT I PURCHASED FROM THE UBUNTU ONLINE STORE (SINCE THEY ARE NO LONGER ALLOWING ME 2 REQUEST ANY MORE FREE CD'S, AND I HAVE A 5 GIGABYTE DOWNLOAD LIMIT WITH U.S. CELLULAR), AND IT WORKED JUST FINE ON BOTH MY DELL XPS 630I, AND MY DELL INSPIRON 530N DESKTOP COMPUTERS.

21 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 12:00

On my 1545 I have to press F12 when the Dell Icon first starts to get to a menu that allows booting from CD or DVD and USB.  You did not mention doing that, it changes your BIOS.  As for upgrading, Well, I won't argue the point.   I just know it don't work on my computer.  I've had it for about eight months and tried 30 different distributions on it, (I have the disks in a drawer)  The only thing that is 100% stable is Xubuntu.  In fact I'm running Lucid Lynx 10.04 right now and it is rock solid.

No Events found!