Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2009 19:00

Ubuntu Suspend and Hibernate Do Not Work on Inspiron 1545n

I bought an Inspiron 1545n with Ubuntu 8.10 a few weeks ago and upgraded the operating system to Ubuntu 9.04.

System, Preferences, Power Management, On AC Power and On Battery Power are both set to Suspend "When laptop lid is closed". However, when the Inspiron is:

• on AC power, when the lid is closed, the Inspiron continues to run with full heat generation and the power light shining solid white and it displays a password entry window when the lid is opened.
  • on battery power, when the lid is closed and later opened, the Inspiron displays a monochrome planet scape. At that point pressing the power button or pressing any key or key combination I tried has no effect. I cannot find a way to get the Inspiron back from suspense mode. The only thing I have found that has an effect is holding the power button until it turns off.

In additon, both Suspend and Hibernate in the "Switch users or shutdown" menu do not work. In each case the Inspiron displays a password entry window but continues to run with full heat generation and the power light shining solid white.

I would like to be able to reduce the Inspiron's power consumption and heat generation when I am not going to use it for awhile without having to turn it off. Is there something I can do to get Suspend or Hibernate to work?

Thanks,  Alan

August 14th, 2009 20:00

I am having the exact same problem with my Inspiron 1545n.  I posted this in the Ubuntu forums and no one has responded.

September 24th, 2009 15:00

Since it has been two months and Dell has not replied to these posts, it seems that Dell has no interest in, or is incapable of, getting Suspend or Hibernate to work with Ubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 1545n.

September 24th, 2009 20:00

It actually has more to do with a bug in Ubuntu 9.04l that I saw on Launchpad a while ago while researching this problem.  This bug is in the Intel XOrg driver, the Intel driver got broken upstream from Ubuntu and they, unfortunately, included a broken driver with the release as did most other Linux distros at the time (the only exception I know about is Debian which uses older binaries for maximum stability).  This problem will be fixed when Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) is released.  There may have been a reason Dell did not choose to ship PCs with the newest version available, this could be why.

September 24th, 2009 22:00

Thank you guitarMan666.

I should have considered that I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04 as soon as I got the Inspiron and never saw if Suspend and Hibernate worked on the version of Ubuntu that Dell shipped. I look forward to Ubuntu 9.10.

4 Posts

December 9th, 2009 13:00

I installed Ubunto 9.10 on my Inspiron 1150 and I have the same problem.  Power Management doesn't seem to work at all.  I have tried suspend and hibernate both when the lid is closed, but the computer continues to run at the same speed and the screen stays lit as the machine is currently being used. I hope a good samaritan can post a solution.

December 9th, 2009 15:00

I also installed Ubuntu 9.10 and also found that it did not seem to fix Power Management at all. 

December 20th, 2009 17:00

The power management or display switch (close and open) could be the issue. My 1545 had Ubuntu 9.04 factory installed and these functions worked fine from the start. After upgrading to 9.10 they still work as they should, although wake from sleep has a glitch on battery power (system returns to sleep and must be set to active with the power button). Possibly a new install of the OS could replace the less than rightly working files. Best of luck!

October 22nd, 2010 15:00

Since I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 from 10.04, Suspend has worked correctly.

• Suspend works when I select it from the power drop down menu.
  • Suspend works when I close the laptop.
  • Suspend works when I leave the laptop unused for the set period of time.

On the other hand, Hibernate still does not work. When I select Hibernate from the power drop down menu:

• The screen goes blank except for a blinking cursor in the upper left corner.
  • The screen glows.
  • The power light remains steadily on.
  • It requires pressing and holding the power button for multiple seconds to restart the computer and there is no evidence that it is returning from hibernation.

However, I can do without Hibernate and I am happy to have Suspend working.

No Events found!