Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2009 13:00

Ubuntu on mini notebook

Can anyone tell me how to change the operating system on a mini notebook. It came with Ubuntu and I hate it. I need Vista like on my Studio, and the mini does not have a cd slot.  It totally confuses me. I can't even download McAfee. I don't know where to open it up. I need MS Word 2007 for school and can not figure out how to download it.  Someone help please!  Thank you, Cynthia

• 

16.7K Posts

January 21st, 2009 07:00

Cynthiadvt,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You will need to purchase an External USB cd/dvd to install any disc. What is the problem you are having downloading if you are connected to the internet?

18 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 16:00

I don't think you will like Vista very much on the mini ... Vista is a real resource hog and doesn't play nicely with netbooks.  If you want to switch to windows, I'd suggest XP. 

McCaffee and Office 2007 are Microsoft products that don't run on Ubuntu.  (Actually is possible to install Office 2007 through the program called wine, you may want to consult www.codeweavers.com for an easy to use version).  You do not need McCaffe on Ubuntu, though, because Ubuntu is not succeptitle to viruses like windows is.  So, don't worry about haing antivirus software installed. 

Additionally, you will find that openoffice installed on Ubuntu can read/write to Microsoft office document formats (except the pptx and docx files form MS's new version);  so, it is quite possible that OpenOffice will satisfy your requirements.

37 Posts

February 27th, 2009 20:00

I bought an Mini 9n Netbook with Ubuntu Linux to get away from Vista.  I suffered with Vista on my Latitude D600 for over a year.  I really hate Vista.  Vista convinced me to switch to a new Mac for Christmas.  But my old D600 laptop still lives with Ubuntu 8.04 Linux.  It works so well, it convinced me to buy a smaller lighter Mini 9n for traveling to check my email and surf the web.  I am very happy with the Mini 9n.

Ok, if you really really want Vista on your mini notebook, first you will have to meet Vistas minimum system requirements:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/system-requirements.aspx

The minimum 20GB hard disk could be a problem.  That means you'll need a 32gb SSD.  Not sure if it works with the optional 16GB SSD you can upgrade to with XP though.  Vista Home Basic might work, but I wouldn't try anything more hardware intensive than that.

37 Posts

February 27th, 2009 21:00

Hey, if you don't like Ubuntu Linux, maybe you could try changing your desktop theme to look like Vista.  

http://gnomestyle.blogspot.com/2007/05/make-ubuntu-look-like-vista.html

At least that way it would have a more familiar look and feel.  I haven't tried this yet, but I wanted to pass it on.  Even though it looks like Vista, you probably won't be able to run any Microsoft software like Microsoft Office.

27 Posts

March 1st, 2009 16:00

Point of Order!

Do you really need MS Word 2007?  Open Office is probably better then MS Word.

McAfee?  Why are you worried about McAfee?  If you really need an AV there is Avast, Clam AV, AVG Free...

You will probably have a better time running Windows XP on your Mini then you will running Vista.  Not to say that it cannot be done.

2 Posts

March 4th, 2009 20:00

Cynthiadvt,

You will need to purchase an External USB cd/dvd to install any disc. What is the problem you are having downloading if you are connected to the internet?

2 Posts

March 4th, 2009 20:00

[quote user="DELL-Jesse L"]

Cynthiadvt,

[/quote]

I did that and it won't work either although it is supposed to be compatable with Linux system - it's a LaCie - I also hate ubuntu and want to change to windows - can anyone help me please!

No Events found!