Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 7th, 2013 22:00

Unable to install RHEL 6

Hello Everyone,
I have a Dell Inspiron 14z 5423 Ultrabook. I have Windows 7 installed in it. I am trying to install RHEL 6 alongside windows. 
I have installed RHEL on most of the older PCs but this one is the new technology with 32 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD with hybrid technology. I could not figure out to install RedHat.

The SATA mode in BIOS is set to Intel Smart Response Technology ( aka RAID ). I have around 80 GB unallocated space (as in picture below: free 82694 MB) and When I try to create partitions (/boot, /home, / ...) then it shows the error saying "Not Enough Disk Space" and the partitions could not be created.

Previously it also asked for Reinitialization of the Disk but I Clicked on Ignore all as I haven't backuped anything.

Please help me regarding installation.

1.8K Posts

May 8th, 2013 11:00

Hi TusharKhatiwada,

Linux does not support the mSATA configuration. You will need to disable the acceleration from the Smart Response Technology application from the Desktop. Change the SATA Operation setting in the BIOS to AHCI and install RHEL 6 on the 500GB HDD.

Please let me know if you need further information.

May 8th, 2013 21:00

Thank you for the reply.

But what about the windows OS. It is already installed with SATA mode set to Intel Smart Response Technology. If I disable the acceleration and change the SATA Operating mode to AHCI then BSOD problem might show up. The windows will not load either.

Isn't there any other way to Dual mode in same configuration. 

May 9th, 2013 00:00

Thank You DELL-Rajath,

This worked fine.

Now I have a Dual Boot Options.

But got another problem with IRST.

Now I cannot Enable Acceleration in IRST as there is no option for enabling Acceleration.

How can I again Enable the Acceleration in IRST.

4 Posts

May 9th, 2013 10:00

Thank You

1.8K Posts

May 9th, 2013 11:00

Hi TusharKhatiwada,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update. It would not be possible to enable acceleration on a dual boot system as Linux does not currently support this technology. The system may fail to boot, if the acceleration is enabled from Windows.

1 Message

May 14th, 2020 03:00

now is your windows working fine?

No Events found!