micromanjc
1 Copper

Upgrade Ubuntu from 8.04 to 9.04

How can I upgrade Ubuntu 8.04 on my Mini 9 to 9.04 without lossing file, programs and setups. Update manager does not acknowledge 8.10 or 9.04 as up grade options.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
UbuxSensei
1 Nickel

Re: Upgrade Ubuntu from 8.04 to 9.04

Did you google this Question and it link you to ubuntu.com?

I may have some Answers for you I need to know that part. here the LINK

I have a friend with the same deal. Be we fix it in two to three different ways.

0 Kudos
decahedronca
1 Nickel

You probably have the upgrade settings for "Long Term Release" upgrades.

System->Administration->Update Manager... [settings]... Click the Upgrade Tab... Under "Release Upgrades" find "Show new distribution releases" and select "Normal Releases" then click "Close"... Check for new updates from the Update Manager window.  The new release should be shown at the top of the window.  Click Upgrade.

If you want to upgrade twice then click check for updates again and Upgrade.

Before you upgrade back up your data.  You might also do a search to determine how compatible your hardware is with the Upgrades.

0 Kudos
micromanjc
1 Copper

My Dell version of Ubuntu 8.04 does not seem to give me an option to change setting under Update Manager. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
micromanjc
1 Copper

Yes, I Goggled the Ubuntu upgrade site. It says I need to upgrade to 8.10 first, but I am not able to do that under Update Manager. It does not give me that option.

0 Kudos
decahedronca
1 Nickel

What type of computer do you have?

If you have a mini 12 (or anything with a GMA 500 graphics card) you want to stay with the Dell version of 8.04 (due to lack of driver support).  Unless there is something specific you require in 9.04 there is no real reason to upgrade.  8.04LTS will be supported until 2011.  LTS means "Long Term Support" which means "Stable".  After 2011 there may be dell support for upgrading but I have seen reports in the news groups that 9.04 is not entireley stable anyway.

Right now you have the Dell supported OS which is also a stable current version.  Consider sticking with that for now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jgwjgw
1 Copper

I am interested in getting from 8.04 to 9.04 on my Mini 9. Can someone from Dell and/or someone who really knows how to do this please respond. It would be nice if Dell could put a post out with that information. Thank!

0 Kudos
decahedronca
1 Nickel

Again I must ask the question, "Why"?  Is there software you just can't do without that must run under 9.04?  8.04 is the most stable of the Ubuntu family at this time and it is the only one dell supports at this time.

If you must upgrade...  Check the compatibility of your system by searching the forums and then...

Download the image of the Ubuntu you want to install. 

System->Administration->USB Startup disk creator... Select the image and the USB drive

Reboot (assuming the BIOS is set to boot from USB) and you should have a working live CD with an Install Icon on the desktop.  Click that to start the install process.

Note that in 8.04 you may have to install the USB Startup disk creator first

0 Kudos
decahedronca
1 Nickel

I forgot to mention that YOU MUST BACK UP YOUR DATA BEFORE INSTALLING.

I also did a quick search to determine that your dell mini 9 probably has a "GMA 950" graphics card.  below is a link regarding Ubuntu and that chipset.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=315014&page=3

0 Kudos
micromanjc
1 Copper

I have already downloaded and run 9.04 for netbooks from a live UBS and have had no problems. When I install it from the UBS are my software settings, files and programs preserved or do it have to input my setting and download my programs again?

I don't understand what the problem is with the GMA 950 graphics card.

0 Kudos