Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 25th, 2007 15:00

Video Card in E1505n?

I was going to buy one, but I had a couple issues. First I cannot find anywhere that says what video card is installed and there is no option to pick one. I would prefer an NVidia card as they seem to have better support under Linux. I tried to install Ubuntu 7.04 on my existing E1705 and can't get the video to work correctly with my Raedon X1400. I was actually hoping I might be able to get drivers to make it work with my current laptop. Second I would like to see Bluetooth as an option, it doesn't appear to be available. I don't know if that's because of driver or usability issues, I know I got annoying messages about the bluetooth when trying to install on my current system.

[edit] I see now on the final page under "Also Included" that the video card is "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950". I really need some better 3D acceleration. Any chance of getting an NVidia chipset as an option?

Message Edited by jgoemat on 05-25-2007 11:35 AM

2 Posts

May 26th, 2007 04:00

Sorry jgoemat, at this time the systems only ship with what's been offered on the website. The reason for this being Dell is still testing everything extensively to ensure they are sending out fully functional (ie, bug free) products. If you wait long enough, it may ship with nvidia, but not any time too soon. BTW - Your issues with you E1705 is likely a result of your ATI video card - there have been some issues with it (notice Dell isn't shipping any ATI cards for Ubuntu)

9 Posts

May 26th, 2007 12:00

Nvidia is not a good choice for Linux. Nvidia does not cooperate with the open-source community to produce open drivers. On the other hand Intel is doing a good job here. If you want to use Beryl/3D desktop, the Intel embedded graphics cards do a really good job. ATI has been bought by AMD, and I hope it joins the Intel club of releasing free and open-source drivers. All in all, the Intel embedded graphics cards are the choice for Linux at the moment.

1 Message

May 27th, 2007 04:00

When I checked the configuration options the first day, they only listed the Intel 950 for graphics...no other options. The next day, they had added the NVIDIA 7300 256MB, which isn't a fantastic chip (the 7600 would have been better), but still far better than the Intel 950. That's what I ordered. I just checked and it's still there.

I didn't see an option for Bluetooth either. You'll probably just have to add a USB Bluetooth dongle (just make sure it's compatible first).

6 Posts

May 28th, 2007 23:00

I believe dell sells a bluetooth module as a 'spare part', so you CAN get it in a pinch, and the installation is fairly straightforward.
No Events found!