Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2007 17:00

Which version of Unbutu to install?

Hello,

I've got an XPS 410 with a 2.13 Ghz Core Duo 2 CPU and 1.5Gig MB of RAM and was wondering which version of Ubuntu should I download. Is there any advantage to installing the 64-Bit version? Is there a disadvantage to installing it? Which one would run faster? Also, I'd be installing in through VMware and I'm running the 32bit version of Vista Home. Is there a conflict with the 64bit version of Ubuntu?

Thanks,

Jeff

48 Posts

May 22nd, 2007 05:00

I would recommend the 32-bit version. There may or may not be a visible jump in performance for the everyday user by installing the 64-bit version.

I installed 64-bit Ubuntu Dapper back in the day (not actually all that long ago I guess) and I felt like there wasn't as much written for it (application-wise).

My recommendation is Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn 32-bit.

I don't quite understand the VMWare part. Are you running Vista or Ubuntu in the VM? Just remember that the guest OS can only use hardware that the host OS has configured. (i.e. a windows VM will not run DirectX games in a Linux host OS).

Hope this helps some.

May 25th, 2007 18:00

I'd install 6.06 LTS if you're going to be using Ubuntu in VMware. I boot Ubuntu, Kubuntu, AND Xubuntu in VMware on my Intel iMac ;-) (I use an upgraded GX100 for Booting XP and Linux). If you have any cash to spare, i'd suggest using parallels desktop. I boot XP and Ubuntu 7.10 in Parallels and it's just so much easier than the competition. You using windows as your primary OS, you may have different opinions, but my prefrence is Parallels desktop + Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. - Ubuntu-Dude ' P.S. If you find you like Ubuntu and want to dual-boot with Vista, DISABLE ONBOARD GRAPHICS WHILE INSTALLING!!! (or something like that... my GX100 doesn't have that option, and so I had to select onboard only) Linux can't handle some graphics cards (Like my Matrox Milennium G450 Dual-Head DVI) without you installing drivers (XFree86 supports practicaly anything). You can find online tutorials on how to dual boot, But they all involve cutting back on your windows partition approx. 7GB.

Message Edited by Ubuntu-Dude on 05-25-2007 03:25 PM

48 Posts

May 25th, 2007 18:00

:smileyvery-happy:

37 Posts

February 11th, 2009 08:00

I tried both Ubuntu 8.10 and 8.04 LTS on my Lattitude D600.  8.04 LTS seems to have better hardware detection and have less problems.  Also the LTS means Long Term Support.  It seemed easier to install Skype with 8.04 as well.  That's what my new Mini 9 will come with.  It should be here soon.  All I really need is Skype and Firefox while I'm on the road.  I tried Ubuntu on my D600 and it works great for web browsing and Skype, with a few tweaks.  Wireless networking works good with Ubuntu 8.10.  Haven't tried wireless with 8.04 yet.

November 9th, 2009 22:00

I am new to Linux . I have had good success with Ubuntu 9.04 . Only real pain is if you need to set up dialup, everything else has worked well with little effort.

My favorite is Puppy Linux .  It will fit easily on a  750 mb partition on a USB stick and it has a brilliant install program. If you set it to install in combo mode it will boot on most computers. So far I have not found one it won't boot on. I have it on a 2 gig stick, and a 16 gig that dual boots with Ubuntu 9.04 and I am about to add Barts Pe version of Windows XP as well. As it is now I can stick either one in any computer, tell the bios it is a hard drive, a usb hard drive, or a zip drive and check my mail etc without total privacy. The FBI recommends it for online banking because it runs in memory and is so difficult to subvert.

And it absolutely flies no matter what the host system is!, It flies on a P1!  If you want to play games on an old computer you can download a distro just for games.

The genius of Puppy is it runs in memory and it is so small if you start slowing it down with to many aps you can just build another operating system and put as many as you want on a drive. try it. it is a gas! It will run off the install disk ! Puppy is fast! You will be shocked how fast!

32 Posts

November 20th, 2009 16:00

We currently have Kubuntu/ubuntu on my wifes Dell 1420 laptop as well as my Inspiron 531. Neither system needed anything special.

Recently I burned a couple Mint Linux live cds for coworkers and was impressed how well they worked out of box. Mint Linux has the codecs set up so you can go to youtube as soon as it boots up . Mint Linux is also based on Ubuntu.  On both our systems the 64 bit version worked a little better, for one thing the 64 bit version uses all the ram if you have 4 megs or more. There was another problem we had with 32 bit version, but I can't remember, it was pretty long ago. We use Virtualbox, the no cost version from Sun and it works well with XP , but I don't know about Vista. Virtualbox runs well in 64 bit Ubuntu host system, but I don't think it handles a 64 bit  - but it has been a long time since I sent that up and as you may know once you are set up, linux systems keep getting updates.  

There are several distributions based on ubuntu:

http://www.debianadmin.com/list-of-ubuntu-based-linux-distributions-and-live-cds.html

I added the Satanic version meta package as well, and  it looks pretty good too.

No Events found!