Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

June 19th, 2022 00:00

XPS Plus 9320 webcam webcamera not detected

Hello,

I got my brand new Dell XPS Plus 9320. It came with Windows but I installed Linux on it.

The webcam is not detected.

I have double-checked it is enabled in the UEFI menu.

I am running PopOS, which is based on Ubuntu 22.04

• 

25.1K Posts

June 19th, 2022 00:00

Hello, we see you are looking for assistance. If you need our help, you could start a direct message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

2 Posts

June 19th, 2022 08:00

For transparency's sake, and in case someone else finds this post:

I talked to @DELL-Cares on direct messages and they asked me to install Windows to verify if this is a software problem or not.

I will not do that for now because I do not have the time for that. I will use an external camera for now and ask in other Linux forums to see if someone else found the same issue.

June 23rd, 2022 13:00

I have the same thing. It's not detected in fedora 36. I know my camera is working fine, since I tested it in the default windows installation before installing fedora.

1 Message

June 23rd, 2022 16:00

I installed Ubuntu 22.04 and web camera is not detected.

Is there any suggestion to fix it?  Thanks.

3 Posts

June 23rd, 2022 17:00

So, I got an XPS 9320 Developer Edition which had Ubuntu preinstalled (or some version of Ubuntu anyhow). On that preinstalled OS, surprisingly the webcam, mic, sound, fingerprint all worked out of the box. However, when I replaced Ubuntu with Manjaro, I had the issue of webcam not being detected. So, I think there is some driver that exists for linux that the Ubuntu setup had, but we just need to er somehow figure out what that is and obtain it...

1 Message

June 24th, 2022 14:00

Did you have a particular Ubuntu version that worked? And any link to a recover image or something please? Thanks in advance 

3 Posts

June 25th, 2022 12:00

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/osiso will provide you the recovery image if you enter your service tag. the Ubuntu i was using was fossa (20.04)

June 25th, 2022 19:00

Did you happen to make a backup of the OS drive beforehand? If, for some reason, Dell has ripped the Ubuntu recovery ISO from the site, and now I can't find it. If you do the vanilla Ubuntu install, all you have to do is search for the IPUP6 drivers and follow that rabbit hole.

July 1st, 2022 06:00

For most of us, it is throwing an error, "they are aware of it."

3 Posts

July 3rd, 2022 10:00

Kevin,

Sorry I am late to this, and sorry that it doesn't work for you. I didn't upload and share the iso directly because well, you should think twice before booting an image shared by a random unknown person (me)... but if you're okay with it, I downloaded & uploaded it to gdrive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q5vFYLI0zfAvHvkmBzaDWFPgWZ-reeqG/view?usp=sharing

It's kind of weird that Dell didn't allow y'all to download it? Perhaps it has to do with whether you purchased the Developer edition or not?

August 25th, 2022 06:00

This should help.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Dell

Dell XPS 9320

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oem-solutions-engineers/oem-projects-meta

$ sudo apt install oem-somerville-tentacool-meta

$ sudo apt update

$ sudo apt full-upgrade

$ sudo systemctl poweroff

No Events found!