Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2010 05:00

hdd & driver for Dell wireless 1397 wlan MISSING

I ALL,

I bought last week a New Mini Dell 10, it has a wireless card Dell 1397 wlan mini-card.

Today I install Ubuntu 9.10 as a dual boot on my notebook and I found that Ubuntu don't recognize my wlan, so I'm looking for its drivers.......

does somebody how I can find them? or where?

AND MORE.........

when I log in Ubuntu, it advice me that DISC HAS MANY BAD SECTORS........is it possible? why XP doesn't recognize this problem?

what I need to do?

THANKS

Luca

March 10th, 2010 00:00

Hi Lukize,

have the same problems too. I only  found a solution for wlan :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1352270&highlight=broadcom

when i installed ubuntu, I've got the same message about bad sectors. What did you do? Retoure?

3 Posts

March 12th, 2010 01:00

Hi Nicolebillie,

Thanks for your link, I found a solution to WLAN too.

About the message of HD……

First of all I had been at the University to meet the “friends of Linux”, all of them are computer scientist, they looked my Dell and they did some tests……..they told me that my HD has a problem and that problem is going to increase. I mean, day by day your bad sectors will be more then now.

So I called Dell and I tried had been 2 hours to connect with their computer engineer   to resolve this problem on_line, we connect our notebook in remote control . Their program of disk check didn’t find any error.

They told me some possible solutions:

1)     This message is a BUG of Linux for this kind of notebook, the mini Dell 9 with Ubuntu has some technical difference in HD and Motherboard with others Mini Dell, so it’s possible that Ubuntu 9.10 doesn’t recognize this difference and put on video the error message.

2)     Ubuntu is a free software and you don’t have any licence, so they cannot give you help even if your notebook is a Dell 9 with Ubuntu. If you have Ubuntu as a default O.S. like for Dell 9, they give you guarantee only for electronics part but not for O.S. because it’s without licence……..if you have a Dell with XP or Seven, they give you guarantee only for XP or Seven because they made the notebook with that O.S…….so our problem is just an our problem……..

BUT, they guys with I spoke  (computer engineer of DELL) had been very kind and they told me some suggestions…….because they know  Ubuntu well.

Two solutions:

1)     Remove Ubuntu and try again to use the disk check, maybe the program don’t recognize the bad sectors if them are under Ubuntu supervision.

2)     if your notebook is new, you have 1 year of guarantee, so you can wait for the new version of Ubuntu and after that check if the problem was a BUG or not. Anyway, if the problem is a real problem, your bad sector will be double that now and the notebook is going to “dead”. Save your files on a external HD, as I did and wait for April, new Ubuntu reload is coming.

BECAUSE, if you send back the notebook to DELL, you have to wait a month or more in orther that they check you HD.  My DELL is new, so I still have 11 months of guarantee, I will wait for new release of Ubuntu and after that I will check my disk again, even if to remove Ubuntu I need an external CD that I haven’t.

If you find another solution, please, write me.

Many thanks

Luca

March 12th, 2010 01:00

Hi Luca,

I ask some other computer scientists too and googled the probelm. I found  this :

http://www.xodiac.net/?p=31

I seems to be a bug of Ubuntu 9.10. I installed Ubuntu 9.04 and my computer does not have any problems yet.

3 Posts

March 12th, 2010 04:00

MANY THANKS!!!

March 12th, 2010 05:00

You re welcome. Good luck

No Events found!