Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2007 01:00

information about ubuntu on my XPS M1210

I bought my Dell PC and I need to know how can I install ubuntu on my XPS M1210 without affecting the windows and Dell initial configuration of my PC?. Additionally, I wish to know if there are drivers for my PC on Linux.

Thanks for your time

22 Posts

July 31st, 2007 11:00

dell likes to use up your 4 primary partitions, so you might need to loose something.

5 Posts

July 31st, 2007 11:00

First get the install CD. Boot into it, but when installing make sure you only resize the windows partition (not delete it) and make sure it's the right one (not the dell mediadirect or dell recovery). When I installed Ubuntu on my laptop it worked with almost all of the hardware perfectly. Just read the help, and make sure you backed up your data. The CD should be a live CD so you can read the help or try it out before you install.

54 Posts

August 1st, 2007 10:00

Yeah, and don't forget that you not only need a partition for the root-filesystem but also a swap-partition! But don't be afraid, the installer will do most of the job automagically ;-) Nevertheless, I can recommend gparted-LiveCD as partitioning-tool.

floba

Message Edited by floba on 08-01-2007 01:47 PM

54 Posts

August 2nd, 2007 04:00

Concerning your question about drivers for your system have a look at "http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html" (bottom of the page)...

floba
No Events found!