Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 16th, 2015 17:00

issues with installing Linux on an XPS 8900

A number of Linux distributions fail install effort on an XPS 8900. (most of which worked well on an XPS 8500)

Any solutions to enable an installation for dual booting with Linux?

9 Posts

January 8th, 2016 19:00

I ran into the same problem initially: the system would just hang early in the installation process. Editing the grub command line to boot the kernel with the following option solved he issue for me:

pcie_aspm=off

You obviously have to make it persistent after installation if you don't want to have to edit the command line on every boot.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 17th, 2015 09:00

Use WUBI and install onto NTFS partition.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2132256

1 Message

November 21st, 2015 09:00

WUBI doesn't work with Windows 10. I don't think you can even get to the BIOS without booting Windows first. Even then, it may be impossible to turn off UEFI and get a clean Linux boot. It looks like Dell and Microsoft has made a native install of Linux on the XPS 8900 impossible for the user. If someone knows how to do this please correct me!

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 16:00

at start of bootup (Dell logo displays), F2 brings up a bios menu...

9 Posts

January 8th, 2016 19:00

For dual boot, I configured the BIOS to boot the Linux partition first.

And grub's OS prober should automatically add an entry at the bottom of your grub menu to let you boot Windows, allowing you to boot either of them:

Something like this in /etc/grub2-efi.cfg:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

menuentry 'Windows Boot Manager (on /dev/sda1)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-efi-AF97-6351' {

insmod part_gpt

insmod fat

set root='hd0,gpt1'

if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt1 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt1  AF97-6351

else

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root AF97-6351

fi

chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

}

Booting Linux from the Windows boot loader is harder.

3 Posts

January 9th, 2016 12:00

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and providing the solution to my issue.

3 Posts

January 18th, 2017 09:00

Sorry to hitch a ride here. If I don't have this path /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi,

was my grub installation corrupted ?

chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

1 Message

November 29th, 2018 12:00

Hello All, Sorry for may be disturbing you, I am also using a desktop Dell XPS 8900. But me I'm trying to dual boot Kali linux with Windows 10 and I'm having that same error (AER: Corrected error received: id=00e0). Please, I would like how can apply the suggested modifications for this case. Thansks in advance. Best Regards.

1 Message

October 4th, 2019 00:00

Changing the BIOS to legacy mode and doing a reinstall worked for me with Debian 10.
The legacy mode has to be changed BEFORE the install.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 4th, 2019 05:00

Problem is that Legacy mode is going away.

32 bit is already end of life.

Intel plans to remove CSM and Legacy by 2020.

All new pc's will be 64 bit only,  Secure Boot only, windows 10 only.

This locks out older Linux and dos and windows versions forever.

1 Message

October 10th, 2022 22:00

No need to worry, you can run Linux on the Dell XPS 13, and Dell even gives you the option to get it with Linux out of the box if you prefer it that way. If you've already bought the Dell XPS 13 with Windows and you want to run Linux, you can still do it, too.

No Events found!