Highlighted
micasacb8
1 Copper

mini 10v reinstall problem?

Jump to solution

Hi i am new Dell comunity,

I have a mini 10v with ubuntu 8.04 and the laptop make some error at the begining they dont let me login and i erase and install the ubuntu notebook remix 9.10 but now i want to reinstall the official ubuntu 8.04 that the laptop can with. What i can do i dont have external DVD drive to use Ubuntu 8.04 official DVD? I can find a official iso file or use another laptop to make DVD to a .iso file?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
barrydrake
1 Copper

Re: mini 10v reinstall problem?

Jump to solution

Hi ...  It's quite easy.  Make an ISO from your factory re-install DVD on a desktop or laptop .  Then use the utility you can find on the netbook remix cd that you still have?  If you are working under Windows, you can run usb-creator.exe from the cd, and this will convert your iso into an SD card installer.  You will need a card bigger than 1 Gig - I use 2-GIG.

The factory re-install that you do will automatically re-create the utilities partition and the recovery partition on your hard-drive.  This is OK, but the recovery partition is 1.4 Gb, and if you only have the 8 Gb version, you will miss this space.

If the computer you use to make the iso and SD card installer is not running Windows, you might need to ask again.  I can go through the process if it is running Linux or Windows, but I don't know the Mac system well enough.  As far as I can see, there is not an official ISO you can grab on the net.  Of interest, I am using Ubuntu Lucid beta (10.04)  netbook version, and am finding this really nice.  When you eventually get everything working the way you want, consider using partimage to back up your entire system to an SD card.  You need two cards, one containg a bootable live-CD image, and the other containing the backup file.  You will also rrequire partimage-0.6.8.deb on your backup disk, as you will need to install this on the running live-cd after it has booted.  This install is ephemeral; you will need to do it each time you save or restore a partition.  To use it, you simple run partimage from the commandline.

All the best.  Hope this solves your problem!  IMO, the mini 10v is fantastic once you've got the system the way you want it!

1 Reply
barrydrake
1 Copper

Re: mini 10v reinstall problem?

Jump to solution

Hi ...  It's quite easy.  Make an ISO from your factory re-install DVD on a desktop or laptop .  Then use the utility you can find on the netbook remix cd that you still have?  If you are working under Windows, you can run usb-creator.exe from the cd, and this will convert your iso into an SD card installer.  You will need a card bigger than 1 Gig - I use 2-GIG.

The factory re-install that you do will automatically re-create the utilities partition and the recovery partition on your hard-drive.  This is OK, but the recovery partition is 1.4 Gb, and if you only have the 8 Gb version, you will miss this space.

If the computer you use to make the iso and SD card installer is not running Windows, you might need to ask again.  I can go through the process if it is running Linux or Windows, but I don't know the Mac system well enough.  As far as I can see, there is not an official ISO you can grab on the net.  Of interest, I am using Ubuntu Lucid beta (10.04)  netbook version, and am finding this really nice.  When you eventually get everything working the way you want, consider using partimage to back up your entire system to an SD card.  You need two cards, one containg a bootable live-CD image, and the other containing the backup file.  You will also rrequire partimage-0.6.8.deb on your backup disk, as you will need to install this on the running live-cd after it has booted.  This install is ephemeral; you will need to do it each time you save or restore a partition.  To use it, you simple run partimage from the commandline.

All the best.  Hope this solves your problem!  IMO, the mini 10v is fantastic once you've got the system the way you want it!