Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2008 05:00

need to know

first of all i really need to get this off my chest....i dont like this new fourm look...i really liked the old one alot better....ok i just recived the new ubuntu cd yesterday and now im scared to install it seeing i have been seeing lot of people having trouble with it.i have a inspiron 5100 p4 2.66 ghz 1.25gb ram 80hd...also need to know if it would be better just to wipe out xp and have only linux...and if i wipe out xp will i have to reinstall my drivers....all the help on this will be great....thank you

4.6K Posts

November 23rd, 2008 07:00

Where have you been seeing people with problems?  I'd wager they're far outnumbered by those who aren't having any problems with it?

Whether to "wipeout" XP or not, and install Ubuntu on its own, is entriely up to you.

If you don't need XP, then by all means get rid of XP.

But even if you were to keep XP, it's likely you'd need to find Ubuntu/Linux drivers anyway, because it's unlikely drivers for XP will work (properly) for Ubuntu/Linux?

32 Posts

November 26th, 2008 03:00

Well if in doubt ..wait. If you are happy with the buntu you are with and I assume it is 8:04 then leave it as it is a long term support. I  have also seen enough issues so far with kubuntu flavoured Intrepid to be happy to leave it for now.

As for your question re xp. How much do you use it. What drivers do you think you will need ...ie what extra hardware are you planning to use?

There may be either no need or other drivers so let us see what you have already first

No Events found!