Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2008 16:00

no sound after update to kernal 2.6.24-22-generic

hi, I have recently bought a inspiron 1525n with ubuntu 8.04 installed. Everything has been going fine so far but after an update to the new kernal 2.6.24-22-generic i no longer have any sound. If anyone could tell me how to fix this issue i would much appreciate it. thanks.

November 29th, 2008 09:00

Give the directions over here a shot but modify any references to 2.6.24-17-generic to 2.6.24-22-generic.  I'd also strongly recommend you backup files (cp) before you move (mv) or delet (rm) them.

I booted into 2.6.24-21-generic through GRUB first to make sure sound was working over there and ran a couple commands for comparative purposes under 21 & 22.  It appears the snd_hda_intel module got bunged up in the update.

Under 2.6.24-22-generic before the update, you'll also notice the Device under "Default Mixer Tracks" in Sound Preferences is blank before you apply the fix (System>Preferences>Sound) and receive a message related to GStreamer plugins/modules when 2x clicking the volume icon on the top right panel, and "alsamixer" won't run through a terminal, and ....

Good luck!  Worked for me.

# 2.6.24-22-generic
user@machine:~$ sudo lshw -C sound
[sudo] password for user:
  *-multimedia UNCLAIMED 
       description: Audio device
       product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 1b
       bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
       version: 02
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
       configuration: latency=0

# 2.6.24-21-generic
user@machine:~$ sudo lshw -C sound
  *-multimedia           
       description: Audio device
       product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 1b
       bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
       version: 02
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
       configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 module=snd_hda_intel

November 29th, 2008 07:00

Same problem over here (same machine, same update, same sound issue).  Still searching around.  Will be checking back.  Anyone else?

3 Posts

November 29th, 2008 11:00

Hi and thanks for helping, unfortunatley i had already tried what you said to do above and it did not work for me. error coming up that .ko was not a recognised command. any ideas anyone? Or am i just going to have to wait for a fix to come out?

5 Posts

December 1st, 2008 15:00

I just went through the hassle of getting sound working again after upgrading to 2.6.24-22 and I can confirm that the instructions in the wiki work -- with slight modifications.  (I'm using an inspiron 1525N.)  Here's what I did:

Restore name of sound driver that old modem driver renamed:

$ cd /lib/modules/2.6.24-22-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda
$ sudo mv snd-hda-intel.ko.REPLACEDBYhsfmodem snd-hda-intel.ko

Remove old sound drivers from kernel module directory:

$ cd /lib/modules/2.6.24-22-generic/updates
$ sudo rm snd-hda-intel.ko
$ sudo rm snd-hda-codec.ko

Rebuild initrd and reboot:

$ sudo depmod -a
$ sudo update-initramfs -u
$ sudo reboot

Two notes: (1) I've changed the directory from .../2.6.24-17-generic/... to .../2.6.24-22-generic/... , and
(2) It sounds like you had a typo or the shell wouldn't have tried to interpret ".ko" as a command.
Please forgive me if you already know this, but perhaps the most reliable way to copy a command from text like this to the shell is to
spawn a terminal, then highlight the text you want to copy (say, in this message), then click on the terminal screen (to make it active)
and press the center mouse button (or wheel if it's a wheel mouse). That way you enter the text exactly.

That said, I think it's time that Dell got the ubuntu distribution folks to change what they deliver. It was several weeks before Dell sent out
a corrected generic package for release 2.6.24-21 and even then my system said it was from an unknown source.

Good luck to you.

3 Posts

Hi, my sound is working now, gave the instructions on the dell wiki another go but altered it too 22 and this time it worked (i must have typed something wrong last time) Thanks for all your help guys.

3 Posts

If you go to the ubuntu forum and look under the multimedia forum,there is a troubleshooting guide which helped me with the same problem after the last kernel update. Hope this helps.

No Events found!