Highlighted

Ubuntu Linux on Dimension 3000

Hi,

I would like to know whether its possible to load Ubuntu on a Dell Dimension 3000. The reason I am asking this question is because, I tried loading Debian before and could not successfully get the graphics driver up and running. It did not recognize the in-built Intel Graphics chipset i865G. I ended up formatting the whole PC and load WinXP Home again. I would like to know whether Ubuntu Linux supports this chipset. If not, are there any x11 drivers available for i865G that can be loaded after installing Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anand.
0 Kudos
15 Replies

Re: Ubuntu Linux on Dimension 3000

Why don't you try a livecd like Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com)?
That way you can see if everything works, and then perform a permanent installation.
0 Kudos
PETER345
Diamond

David gave a very good suggestion. Without having tried it on a 3000, I can say that I would be surprised if it didn't work. I have not tried a distribution of Linux (including Ubuntu) lately that could not at least get the X window system running (can't always get the full resolution on widescreen laptops though). Generally, the older the hardware, the more likely it will work. Sometimes, the latest and greatest hardware is not supported yet.

peter
0 Kudos
BigRed3373
Silver

Hi i tried on my 3000 and Ubuntu worked awesomely and i had no monitor issues or hardware problems. However on my 2400 dimension i am having a monitor issue The E151FPp flat panel monitor will not go over the 800x600 resolution and I cannot find a fix maybe someone here can?
good luck thanks

Red
0 Kudos

For the resolution problem, you can later correct it by editing a file (not the ideal way I know).
You should always submit a bug about the specific monitor model, so the X project can work it out.

If you decide to install Ubuntu on that machine, I'll be glad to help you get the correct resolutions working.
0 Kudos
PETER345
Diamond

I have to eat some crow! I just tried Ubuntu 7.0.4 on my 3000 with Dell 19" LCD. After the initial loading the kernel screen, the monitor went blank and the CD drive went quiet. Not sure what happened. Worked fine on my laptop.

Peter
0 Kudos
siucdude
Copper

Please list the type of graphic card that you have, Also a sug. you may try to download the alternative cd of Ubuntu, as these are older system, a install may work better, Please specify spec's. Thanks TJ
0 Kudos
BigRed3373
Silver

I have intergrated 1810 82845G GL brookdale GE Chipset Intel Thats my graphic card and its a 2400 dimension.  As i said my 3000 dimensions intergrated worked great but my bf is using that one for the Creative sound card.Smiley Happy
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your suggestions and replies. Following is the hardware configuration of the Dell Dimension 3000 that I have:

PROCESSOR - 80546, 3.0, 1M, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 800, E0
KEYBOARD - 104, UNITED STATES, SILITEK, LOW COST, MIDNIGHT GRAY
MOUSE - UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, 2BTN, OPTICAL, LOGITECH
MODEM - V.92, DATA FAX, INTERNAL, PC INTERFACE
DVD+/-RW - 16X, PHILIPS, CHASSIS 2005, V1
CARD (CIRCUIT), CONTROLLER, 1394A, PC INTERFACE, ADAPTEC
MONITOR - CATHODE-RAY TUBE, 19, DUAL VOLTAGE, M993C, MIDNIGHT GRAY
HARD DRIVE - 160GB, IDE (INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS), 7.2K, 8MB, Maxtor Calypso

The version of Ubuntu I have is v6.06. I have the original CD from Canonical. When I installed Debian, the X window system did not recognize the graphics controller (Intel 82865G Graphics Controller) and switched to text mode. I would like to know whether Ubuntu v6.06 supports this controller.

Thanks and regards,
Anand.
0 Kudos

Why don't you try the latest cd, 7.04? It comes with a newer X server that supports more graphic cards and better auto configuration.
0 Kudos