Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 25th, 2020 01:00

OMIMSSC 7.2.0.1434 dropping off the network

We deployed the OMIMSSC 7.2 using the provided OVA on ESXi 6.5. After performing the initial configuration provding admin password and netword details we were able to proceed via the web interface.

After some time the web interface became unavailable and after some investigation we realised that the appliance seem to lose the network connectivity every couple of minutes. Using a continous ping we saw that after around five minutes the network becomes available again. Just to repeat the same process after another three minutes.

We tried to use a different ip address on a different VLAN with no luck. We deployed the OVA again just to see the same behaviour and also replaced the E1000 network adapter with a vmxnet3 one. No difference

Using the web interface is impossible this way.

Has anybody seen a similar behaviour and a solution for it ?

Thanks
Thorsten

45 Posts

October 16th, 2020 04:00

Here is an update on the issue. I was on a session with development and they couldn't help. After the call we realized that, although a static ip address was configured, the device uses DHCP. The option is called " " and once we changed that to " " everything works as expected.

Thorsten_S_0-1602847742434.jpeg

Thorsten_S_1-1602847793212.jpeg

Unfortunately there is nothing in the documentation and to us this is clearly a bug in the UI. We've never seen a system that allows you to specify an ip address when it is it set for DHCP. 

Thanks 

• 

790 Posts

September 25th, 2020 06:00

Hi Thorsten,

that is an interesting fact.

All the other servers and the host itself does not have any connectivity issues?

@AnjanaRM do you have any idea about it?

BR
Stefan

46 Posts

September 27th, 2020 22:00

Hi @Thorsten_S 

The OMIMSSC VM uses E1000 network adapter by default. If you perform the continuous ping with ESXi host IP, are you facing any packets dropping issue? 

Regards,

Anjana

46 Posts

September 28th, 2020 02:00

hi @Thorsten_S 

Can you also try to login to the OMIMSSC virtual machine terminal console from the ESXi host console. Login with username: readonly

password: the admin password which has been configured 

and perform ping to the network gateway and check the response to see if any packets are getting dropped?

regards,

Anjana

45 Posts

September 29th, 2020 00:00

Hi @AnjanaRM 

I've logged on using user readonly and performed the ping test to the gateway address. At the same time I had a ping running from my computer to the configured ip address of the appliance. Once my computer did not receive any more replies, the runnning ping in the remote console stopped working as well:
ping: sendmsg: Network is unreachable

After a couple of minutes the ping replies report back ok in both the console and on my computer.

We have 60 ESX hosts and around 1300 running VMs. Moving the VM to another host or another VLAN would not make a difference and I've not seen such a behavior on any of the other systems.

All tests were done using the default E1000 network adapter.

Thanks
Thorsten

Thorsten_S_0-1601366131087.png

46 Posts

October 7th, 2020 03:00

Hi @Thorsten_S 

Sorry for the delay in response, my reply had not been posted successfully earlier. 

We have not come across kind of issue. I request you to contact Dell Support for this. It might be a network configuration setting modification. 

thanks and regards,

Anjana

45 Posts

October 8th, 2020 05:00

Hi @AnjanaRM 

I've opened a support request and got already some feedback. We were doing more tests using the appliance on Hyper-V and interestingly enough it shows exactly the same behaviour. We tested different network settings and both environments seem to have the same issue. We can also see lots of Java/Tomcat errors in the log files and I therefore suspect that there is something going inside the system that causes that problem. Since we don't have access to the messages.log file we cannot investigate further.

Dell support just told me that the case is now with level 3 support

Thanks
Thorsten

46 Posts

October 16th, 2020 04:00

Hi @Thorsten_S 

Thank you for the update. We have noted this and will make improvement on the same.

Regards,

Anjana

No Events found!