Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2013 02:00

SCOM and software req:

I the DELL MP manual for SCOM, Dell OpenManage Power Center and OpenManage Server Administrator is required together with Dell License Manager - Are those applications necessary for DELL monitoring or is it just a shortcut in actions for and can it just be  SNMP and SMASH.

In this case I have blades.

38 Posts

Dell Server Management Pack Suites from 5.0.1 onwards provide two types of flavors

for discovering Dell Servers.

Flavor1:::In-Band Monitoring

In-Band Monitoring is having a prerequisite that Dell OpenManage Server Administrator

needs to be installed on server that is to be discovered or monitored. It is license free feature.

Flavor2:::Out-of-Band Monitoring

Out-of-Band monitoring is a licensed feature. It doesn't require prerequisite of Dell

OpenMange Server Administrator. It can monitor the bare metal. For more information on monitoring

servers using Out-of-Band refer to Server 5.0.1 IG

7 Posts

Hi

and why is dell power center required than

38 Posts

June 18th, 2013 03:00

The OMPC will give benefits like Gain precise control over energy consumption in your Dell™ data center with a software solution designed to help you measure and manage your usage.

The OMPC need to be installed on the server that need to be monitored.

If you install the OMPC you can launch the OMPC from SCOM console provided the server need to be discovered in state view/diagram view.

For more information www.dell.com/.../pd.

7 Posts

and for blades (where vmware is runing) - what is necessary  - (Dell Openmanager/power center can not be installed on those blades)

38 Posts

The following post may help you on OMPC for blades

en.community.dell.com/.../19476274.aspx

7 Posts

June 18th, 2013 04:00

ok - so if no OMPC is not installed must  it be installed on a SCOM  Management Server ?

38 Posts

June 18th, 2013 05:00

Management Node

The node or server  that is to be managed or discovered or monitored.

If you discover this node using IN-BAND then you need to install OpenManage Server             administrator in it.

If you want to discover using Out-of-Band then no need to install anything even OS too. The bare metal will also get discovered if its iDRAC is kept on the network.

Management Server

The node or server that has SCOM Management Server installed in it is called Management Server. This server with SCOM will discover the nodes(Management Nodes) that are reachable in the network where Management Server is present. Up on installation of Dell Server Suite the dell servers will get discovered under Dell state views/diagram views.

38 Posts

OMPC need to be installed on Management Node

7 Posts

Management node = SCOM Management Server

6 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 11:00

Looking at the Flavor one scenario...  Which of the OMSA features would be required to have the management pack discover the server and begin monitoring in-band?

Chad

6 Posts

September 13th, 2013 14:00

For those curious, I was able to get the flavor one scenario to work by taking the custom defaults and selecting not to install the Server Administrator Web Server and DRAC Command Line Tools.  I suspect WMI was probably the only feature required but I haven't bothered to test.

Chad

No Events found!