RyanIG1
1 Copper

Adding isilon OneFS to Windows AD

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there are any complications that might occur by adding an Isilon file server to our Windows AD Domain, the file server has been in use for a number of years now but was never added to our domain, which means permissions cannot be set for individual user accounts / groups or through a Group Policy in Windows.

Under authentication it gives the option to add a Domain.

isilon.PNG.png

When it was originally setup, the local domain on the isilon was given the same name as our AD Domain.

Lets say,  example.com, so the isilons local domain is EXAMPLE, and our AD Domain is EXAMPLE.COM.

Could that cause a conflict?

Are there any reasons I should not add our file server to the Domain?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
gautamgp
2 Iron

Re: Adding isilon OneFS to Windows AD

Authentication providers support the task of authentication and identity

management by enabling OneFS to verify a users credentials with a directory service

or user account repository. OneFS supports a variety of authentication sources

including LDAP, NIS, Active Directory, users and group accounts that have been

created locally on the cluster, and password files.

Which means, In domain mode you can use both Local and Domain users to authenticate.

RyanIG1
1 Copper

that's what I want to do, allow users to authenticate via local accounts and with domain accounts.

But what I'm asking is, - Is there any reason not to? could it potentially mess up file paths or cause permission issues by adding this server to our Domain, it has been on, and in use, for the last 5 - 6 years, so I'm wondering if there is any reason why I Shouldn't add it to our domain.

If adding it to the Domain is just like creating any new account then I will do it without hesitation, but Since it's already in use for many years I'm worried it could cause issues.

Thank you for your reply.

Ryan

0 Kudos
gautamgp
2 Iron

I don't think it will impact the existing authentication. You might as well add the domain users for authentications.

0 Kudos