Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 15th, 2012 00:00

I'm looking for a configuration of ReplicationManager with SQLServer replication environment.

Hi, folks

I'm looking for a configuration of ReplicationManager with SQLServer replication environment.

Does SQLServer support a backup and restore of distribution DB by RM?

See attached material of configuration.

[Configuration summary]
- SQL Server 2008
- Types of replication in SQL Server 2008: transaction replication
- Storage:VNX5700
- Local replication:SnapClone + Replication Manager5.4.x

Best Regards,
Hiroki

1 Attachment

161 Posts

June 15th, 2012 01:00

Hiroki,

We understand SQLserver has its own replication technology like Transactional replication, Merge replication and etc. Which can used to support backup and restore of distribution DB. What is your purpose of using RM? I am not quite familiar with RM but I can search for it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hiroki,

Distribution database contains the tranaction information of "SQL Server Replication".  If the "SQL Server Replication" is running, it makes NO sense to backup the distribution database and restore it, because the transaction information is used for subscribtion in real time.

199 Posts

Replication Manager supports SQL Server 2008 and VNX, you can refer to primus emc291274 for more inforation.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 15th, 2012 03:00

jingyi

Thank you for your reply.

I checked the primus.
I want to know about parallel backup operation of SQLServer replication and RM...

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Louis

My customer has two requirements of backup.

My customer's Application team want to take a backup by SQLServer replication feature.
If there is trouble of hardware, Server and storage, application team restore DBs by SQLServer replication feature.

On the other hand, my customer's Server/Storage team want to take a backup by Storage backup feature. ==> ReplicationManager
If there is trouble of Software, Server/Storage team restore DBs from RM backup.

I want to know...
When Server/Storage team restore DBs from RM backup, Is restoration of distribution DB's clone backup supported?

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Eric

I understood that it makes no sense to backup the distribution database.

Please give me your idea if possible.

My customer is two operation team. Application team and Server/Storage team.
Server/Storage team want to take a backup by RM with SQLServer replication environment.

So, case of this requirement, can we take a backup of distribution DB?

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 17th, 2012 22:00

Hiroki,

It's totally no problem to backup the distribution database, whenever SQL Server backup or RM backup. 

My concern is the restore operation for the distribution database.  It's meanless to restore this database and it probably makes the consistent issue, unless your team guarantees to backup the replication publisher and subscribers together at the SAME time point. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 18th, 2012 00:00

Eric

Thank you for your response!

Your answer is very important.

I found your same points of concern in the following MSDN web page.

So, I think we need to restore masterDB manually so that it couldn't restore masterDB by RM.

Is this understanding correct?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151152(v=SQL.100).aspx

The master and msdb system databases at the Publisher, Distributor and all Subscribers. These databases should be backed up at the same time as each other and the relevant replication database. For example, back up the master and msdb databases at the Publisher at the same time you back up the publication database. If the publication database is restored, ensure that the master and msdb database are consistent with the publication database in terms of replication configuration and settings.

Best regards,

Hiroki

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 18th, 2012 01:00

Hiroki,

The key point is the backup should be taken at the SAME time, and we need to restore publisher, distributor and subscriber TOGETHER.  I think manually restoring master is not required.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 18th, 2012 03:00

Eric

Thank you so much for your advice.

I'll talk to my customer about your key point.

Hiroki

No Events found!