Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2012 09:00

MSSQL + Centera + RBS = ?

I was asked a quesiton last week and I think I gave the right answer.  However, I wanted to post this to the community to make sure I am not missing anything.

Here is the situation.  We have a customer the has a large MSSQL database for a home grown application.  The application stores pdf's in the database.  Recently the backups have been missing the window.  They found a data sheet for our Centera that talks about RBS integration and believe that all they need to do is install this and they will have all they need to move these pdf's out to the Centera.

My understanding is that RBS is a framework.  The Centera integration is just the connector for the RBS provider (Database) to the Centera.  You still need some coding or an application to identify the objects and move them.  I went to the site listed in the data sheet and did not see anything specific to Centera.  Just the download for RBS.

Looking for insight.  Is there something I am missing? 

1 Attachment

225 Posts

March 26th, 2012 18:00

Here is my though for your reference.

Where / how does this application store these PDF files? That would decide what is archive source, Object on BD or Objects on files system ( DB only has link)

How does application comebine the PDF within the presentation of customer dialogue? If this goes through DB, I do not think application need to be modified with Centera API. If application was R/W by itself, it would be re-coded.

199 Posts

March 27th, 2012 01:00

As I remember, RBS framework is recommended by MS to speed up data object access for SQL server. You won't achieve good performance when you use SQL commands to access big size objects, RBS introduced to move the unstructured BLOB data out to remote storage. These storage could be cheap ones but still yield better performance comparing to include BLOB in the SQL database. While Centera is good at achieving data integrity and store single copy for duplicated objects. The connection between SQL DB and Centera should leverage  Centera Provider for RBS, there is probably some configuration works need to do but recoding may be not needed.

225 Posts

March 28th, 2012 19:00

Does your customer have high complaince requirement on objects archieving or just like to reduce the size of production system?

if it was the 2rd one, you could consider NAS w/ NL-SAS as option.

208 Posts

March 29th, 2012 05:00

I believe this question is covered fairly well from an application viewpoint in this earlier thread:

Re: How to configure Centera RBS provider for content in MS SQL Server 2008?

No Events found!