Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2013 14:00

Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2012 with Data Domain

Hoping somebody has this rather rare combination of DPM 2012 and Data Domain.  I am upgrading from DPM 2010 and front it with a CX4 and have Data Domain as the VTL.   I have the following questions and  hope to hear if anyone who has an answer or idea.

1)     SMB support in DPM 2012--How does it work with the Data Domain?  Do you have to put in the path when creating your protection groups to the share?

2)     Anyone using the DPM\DD combo to do any type of reporting for showback?  Havent found a good solution except to have a general equation for cost per deduped GB\TB. 

Thanks

Eric 

6 Posts

February 7th, 2013 08:00

Found the answer to SMB support but still am wondering if anyone has any ideas for chargeback or showback reporting in this architecture.

Thanks

90 Posts

February 14th, 2013 11:00

I'm looking for DPM 2012 and Data Domain information as well. Can you share what you found?

Thanks in advance

90 Posts

Thanks a bunch, thats really good information. I was able to find a very old whitepaper regarding DPM 2007 and DD, and from the sound of it not too much has changed. Looking forward to what you find in the weeks to come.

Thanks again,

6 Posts

Well we are currently using DPM 2010 with Data Domain and I answered my own question about the SMB support.  Its not what I originally thought.  As I dug deeper I found that SMB support is that it can backup up VHD's from a Share.  I was hoping that you could use Data Domain CIFS as a remote target.  Our Current environment and 2012 as well, Data Domain will have to be a VTL option.  What we would like to do is just use the Data Domain for its replication efficiencies instead of having to send it first to CX4 and then off to VTL (Data Domain).   I have not used the incremental option to tape in DPM but that seems to be going backwards in backup technology and would increase our backup windows again. Most of our backups are Hyper V backups so DPM was pretty critical to us as nobody else did "Hot" VHD backups for Hyper V plus its cheap.

Reporting is a different story.  We would like to be able to charge back or show back to the other departments but a manual base equation is what we have to use.  DPA is supposed to work with Data Domain but DPM is not supported and I doubt its ever going to be on their radar.   Microsoft Actually used this architecture internally but they use a base equation as well.  (thats what I heard anyway). 

I will be moving forward with DPM 2012 within a few weeks so I can share anything I find if your looking for anything specific.

2 Posts

February 27th, 2013 13:00

We use DPM 2012 with Data Domain but we don't charge back specifically for the Data Domain backups.  We charge based on the space utilization within the DPM storage pool.  You reference an 'incremental' option to tape....I didn't think the DPM model included incrementals to tape?

2 Posts

February 27th, 2013 13:00

Were you looking for anything specific for this DPM & DD config?

6 Posts

February 27th, 2013 14:00

Well originally I was hoping that DPM 2012 supported SMB as a target for backups (Data Domain) but as I read further, I was way off.  It supports backing up VHD's that are using SMB file shares as remote storage. Gotta read to the bottom before I ask the question.

Also I replied to your question about tape incrementals but not sure if it was submitted but yes you can or rather it looks like you can, I havent tried it.  In DPM 2010 if you choose short term and then choose tape in the drop down, it will give you options for tape backups.  If you choose Daily, it will give you an incremental option to tape. Let me know if you see this in 2012.  Almost ready to install 2012 as the hardware has arrived this week for our upgrade.

No Events found!