Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2013 04:00

SCOM/ESI - Overall Topology in unknown state

Hi. Im testing ESI integration with SCOM innot yet supported environment. SCOM is 2012 R2 and Windows Server OS 2012 R2 as well.

When i will workaroud all warnings about unsupported OS and so on everything seems to be fine. Our VNX5100 for testing purposes is shown in SCOM. Inventory is taken, alerts are generated and so on.

What is not working is Overall Topology view. There is only root container. No service connection and storage system is shown here - and EMC SI Service Connection Group is empty. Dynamic members (Object is EMC SI Service Connection AND True) - enabled...

Can anyone help me debug this... discovery? Im not sure, why i see correct healt monitor information (memory, disks, luns, ....) and cant use Topology view.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 5th, 2013 09:00

It looks like you may need to look at the discovery for the object for the EMC SI Service Connection object. If the object is not getting populated when you look at it in Discovered Inventory most likely it is not turned on by default or not picking up on it because of the 2012 OS version on your servers.

If the discovery is tuned on but using anything from the OS discoveries and it is not picking up on the newer OS version it could be why it is not finding it. You may need to look at updating you OS MPs if you have not already done so then look at what the discovery targets for the ESI to see if it is going to be able to pick it up. You may need to us an override to target a group that has the servers discovered to apply the discovery to the servers if the ESI MP does not pick up on the 2012 OS version. The SI Service discovery most likely is targeting a different object than the memory, disks, and luns.

4 Posts

November 6th, 2013 00:00

Hi Scott. Thank you for reply to my thread.

SCOM 2012 R2 is natively supporting new Windows Server 2012 R2 OS.

Unfortunately it is working now correctly without any interaction from my side. Topology is discovered after more than 24 hours.

The thing i dont understand is why i see HW info and not topology view. The only information for ESI is where is SI windows service located and how to connect to it. And why if SCOM can connect to my storage trough ESI is not this service added to "EMC SI Service Connection Group". Shouldn't all of the services be located there (EMC SI Service Connection Group)? All information about topology view and HW inventory are taken just from this services. Am I right?

Anyway, i dont know if it is SCOM internal or some ESI MP problem. But like i said, after more hours Overall Topology view is working.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 6th, 2013 02:00

Yes I know that SCOM 2012 R2 supports the Windows 2012 OS but the only reason I bring up the Windows OS MPs it the potential of having an older MP loaded on the newer SCOM version if an upgrade was done.

The reason it may be working now is likely the discovery time interval between each time it runs to find new devices. From the behavior you are indicating it may be set to a longer interval for EMC SI Service than the other HW. Each device would have a different rule in the MP to do the discovery for each. Depending on how the intervals are set will determine how quick they will show up. You could set the interval shorter with and override to get it to show up quicker if it gives you the parameter to change it then set it back after its discovered.

If the only dynamic member of that group for the view is the object for EMC SI Service Connection then only objects found by the EMC SI Service Connection discovery would show there. Depending on how the discovery is set will determine what will be there. You have to look at the discovery to figure out what is set to be found. Sometime things in the SCOM views don't always show up like you think they would. It's all on the creator of the MP who set it up and hope that they put a description in to help us figure out what it should be there..

Unfortunately I don't have it loaded on a server I could look at it at this time. If I could look at it I could probably tell you with more certainty on what the discovery would find.

4 Posts

November 6th, 2013 05:00

Thanks again for reply.

The only time set for "EMC SI Service Discovery" is "Interval" 300 sec. Default value has been changed yesterday from 86400 (one day).

Let me ask another question - when can we expect official support for 2012 R2 OS and SCOM?

4 Posts

November 6th, 2013 08:00

Actually im looking for EMC ESI support :). Because installer dont have support for Server 2012 R2 OS and MP are in ESI version 3.0 only for SCOM 2012 non R2.

Martin

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 6th, 2013 08:00

It looks like it was officially released on October 18th so I would assume that it should be supported as of the release date. Both System Center 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2 were released on the same date. Full price listing for purchase hit on November 1st according to the release notification I found in the below link.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/in_the_cloud/archive/2013/08/14/mark-your-calendars-for-oct-18-the-r2-wave-is-coming.aspx

November 6th, 2013 22:00

test reply. please disregard.

No Events found!