This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 12th, 2017 04:00

SQL Server 2016 Best Practices

HI,

I'm looking for SQL Server 2016 recommended parameters and best practices with EMC VNX/Unity.

We are facing a challenge with large block I/O size (>100KB regularly) on the VNX coming from SQL Server 2016. The servers are not virtualized.

regards,

Sachin Sawant

13 Posts

April 12th, 2017 09:00

Sachin,

Here is a link to paper on consolidation of SQL Server using Unity.

https://www.emc.com/collateral/white-papers/h15142-unity-ms-sql-wp.pdf

The configuration in this paper is for a virtualized environment but the links to some of the best practices for SQL Server may help.  Usually I don't think of 100K as large I/O but you say >100K so I'm not sure how big the writes are that you are seeing.  It is also not clear what the challenge is that you are experiencing, high latency I assume but it would be helpful to have more particulars.  Not sure we can address this issue for you on this discussion list.  If this is impacting your operations it would be best to call technical support.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 17th, 2017 09:00

Phil,

Thanks for the reply. We have to re-size the storage configuration for the addressing the large I/O block. We provisioned  space for first time for SQL server 2016 (billing application) from VNX and customer has reported performance problem (slowness). We were expecting Oracle like 8KB - 16KB block size workload.

Customer also has configured Failover Clustering in the same DC.

regards,

Sachin

No Events found!