Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 26th, 2013 03:00

Adding Dell Venue 8 Pro drivers to install.wim

Hello, 

I have a Windows 8.1 Enterprise image (32-bit) and would like to install the Dell drivers into it, so I can use the image on the Dell Venue 8 Pro when it arrives. Has anyone had any luck this? I am trying on a Windows 8 desktop and the 5830-win8.1-A00-9Y5Y5.CAB file.

I did the following:

1. Open Powershell with Administrator rights.
  2. Made a folder called c:\image
  3. Made a folder called c:\dv8pdrivers and copied the contents of the CAB to that location
  4. Ran "mount-windowsimage -path c:\image -imagepath e:\sources\install.wim -index 1"
  5. Ran "add-windowsdriver -path c:\image -driver .\dv8pdrivers"

At that point it falls over with errors like the following:

add-windowsdriver : DismOpenSession failed. Error code = 0xc0000135

At line:1 char:1
+ add-windowsdriver -path c:\images -driver c:\dv8pdrivers -logpath c:\log\drivers ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Add-WindowsDriver], COMException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.AddWindowsDriverCommand

I have also tried a few other switches like:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> add-windowsdriver -path c:\images -driver c:\dv8pdrivers -scratchdirectory c:\temp -logpath c:\log\drivers.log

No luck though.

7 Posts

November 26th, 2013 04:00

Resolved I think. I don't have my tablet yet so can't test, but at least it updates the drivers.

You need a Windows 8.1 machine to modify the image (not 8.0), and instead of the CAB file, I used the extracted contents of the .EXE files:

5830_Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Driver_830DW_WN_2.1_A00.EXE
5830_Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Driver_76XFC_WN_2.1_A00.EXE
5830_Network_Driver_4F5N3_WN_3.7.2.45_A01.EXE

Of course, I will need to wait until I actually get the tablet to test, but at least the Windows image appears to incorporate the drivers correctly.

No Events found!