Highlighted
droujav
Bronze

Cannot use Micro-USB port on Venue 11 Pro?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can I use the micro-USB port for a mouse or other device (with the Dell micro-USB to USB dongle for tablets) ?

Bought one as advertised and does not work...

Thanks

0 Kudos
16 Replies
z_zk_z
Bronze

RE: Cannot use Micro-USB port on Venue 11 Pro?

Jump to solution

I have the Dell Venue 11 Pro (5130, Bay Trail Atom). I plugged in an OTG cable into the micro-usb charging port and it is not functioning as a USB port. It seems, it is only for charging the tablet. Please update this message if you find otherwise. Thanks.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Sorry

The User Guide for the 5130 V11 contains a typo — referring to both USB ports as "USB3.0/2.0 x1 combo connector"

Both versions of The Administrator's Guide get it right, calling the micro-B port: "micro USB power connector"

You may nominate a person you would like to see flogged for that screw-up, via the Feedback link @ the bottom of the Dell.com home page...

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Sorry

The User Guide for the 5130 V11 contains a typo — referring to both USB ports as "USB3.0/2.0 x1 combo connector"

Both versions of The Administrator's Guide get it right, calling the micro-B port: "micro USB power connector"

You may nominate a person you would like to see flogged for that screw-up, via the Feedback link @ the bottom of the Dell.com home page...

That isn't super clear is it.  I'll send a request to have that corrected.  Micro USB is for charging only.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@DELL-BRIAN B — Glad to see you back, Brian; I don't want to appear ungrateful, but it gets worse... in the "Charging the Tablet" section of that 5130 User's Guide, on the same page, the manual 1st states:

CAUTION: Use only the power adapter and power cable that came with your tablet. Using unauthorized power adapters or power cables may cause severe damage to your tablet.

Then, quickly does a 180° by stating:

NOTE: You can also trickle charge the tablet via micro-USB connection. The battery takes up to 24 hours to fully charge depending on the power output of the USB port. The trickle charging also works with other non-Dell adapters.

(As a result, I cannot shake-off this mental image of delegates from Dell's Engineering and Legal Departments facing-off in a tug-o-war, across a moat filled with bovine effluvia; we may need to wait 'til Spring, to find out who won...) 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@DELL-BRIAN B — Glad to see you back, Brian; I don't want to appear ungrateful, but it gets worse... in the "Charging the Tablet" section of that 5130 User's Guide, on the same page, the manual 1st states:

CAUTION: Use only the power adapter and power cable that came with your tablet. Using unauthorized power adapters or power cables may cause severe damage to your tablet.

Then, quickly does a 180° by stating:

NOTE: You can also trickle charge the tablet via micro-USB connection. The battery takes up to 24 hours to fully charge depending on the power output of the USB port. The trickle charging also works with other non-Dell adapters.

(As a result, I cannot shake-off this mental image of delegates from Dell's Engineering and Legal Departments facing-off in a tug-o-war, across a moat filled with bovine effluvia; we may need to wait 'til Spring, to find out who won...) 

The assumption here was that you would use the detachable micro USB to USB cable that is part of the AC adapter.   The wording "The trickle charging also works...non-Dell... is definitely confusing though.   I'll ask them to correct that as well.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SCC100
Copper

Jump to solution

I thought this was a problem until I spotted the full size USB socket.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The Venue 11 micro-USB port is intended for charging the tablet; there's also a full-size USB 3.0 port for data transfer. If you need to use both USB ports for data, you'll need to connect the 2nd device thru an "OTG" adapter attached to the micro-port (it needs to be self-powered or low-powered). 

C2G Mobile Device USB Micro-B to USB Device OTG Adapter Cable - USB adapter - 6 in : Connected Class...

Enroll (free) in Dell's Member Advantage program, and the shipping is free.

(Dell must lose money, selling the adapter this way; why not just include one in the box? — And, don't get me going about the <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>  User Guide...)

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Wait, doesn't this last post expressly contradict every other post in this topic, including Brian from Dell's? Don't get me wrong, I'd certainly like to use the micro-USB port for data, but all signs seem to point to that not being possible....

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

So is it possible to charge with the full size usb port?

I know the keyboard battery can charge it through what seems like a version of usb.

0 Kudos