Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 4th, 2016 10:00

Contacting Dell via email

I want to contact Dell support but I need a service tag just to email them. I can't boot my tablet to get it and can't find it on the tablet chassis. It's funny these days how companies shut their doors to their customers but can anyone help?

2K Posts

November 5th, 2016 17:00

Hi SMASH4686,

What is the exact system model? What is the exact issue on the tablet? Kindly write a detailed description and we shall help to our best possible.

If the system powers on, then check for the service tag in BIOS - On most models, you could find the service tag listed in BIOS - power off the tablet - press the power button and immediately press the volume down button to enter BIOS.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag or order# of purchase and your Name for case records.

Furthermore, I also see that you have posted a solution about Venue 11 Pro 7130 - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19996415

If this query is also about the same model and you have managed to resolve the issue with the CMOS battery, then kindly advise the same and I shall merge both the threads as part of query and solution.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

6 Posts

November 6th, 2016 05:00

My exact model is Dell Venue 11 7130 Pro. I've had many issues with this tablet, many I've resolved but then replaced by another. I had to stop using the USB micro port as a charger as it stopped working so bought a dock to charge it, which has been working great for many months.

For the past month my date and time settings have been resetting once the tablet ran out of power. Recently (before total failure) the tablet has been switching itself off after running for half an hour or so. The battery read as excellent condition although I don't seem to be able to confirm the voltage output using a multimeter because I'm apparently not finding the correct pins to test.

The CMOS battery was very low on power and I have replaced it with the same model battery but that doesn't seem to have helped. I can imagine it was the start of the problem as the date wasn't being stored.

There is no charge light when docked and when running from the battery it doesn't power. When plugged in to the dock the CPU fan will spin for a few seconds and cease. Press the power button again and it will vibrate and the Windows but also respond with vibrations. But the screen is blank and the BIOS doesn't appear to look at my service tag.  

2K Posts

November 6th, 2016 15:00

Hi SMASH4686,

Thank you for the update.

You were right to isolate the CMOS battery as the cause of date / time resetting. 

Try the BIOS recovery method - this has proven helpful in many such cases and the system will resume functionality if it works - check this article - http://dell.to/2eMNErl

Although your system model is not listed in the supported models list, kindly try the recovery method as explained. There is a video link on the article as well for visual aid. 

You could also private message me the order# and country of purchase and I can find the service tag for you. 

Let us know if you have any other queries.

6 Posts

November 7th, 2016 14:00

Hi I tried the BIOS recovery by pressing the volume down button down and plugging in but no go.  The Venue 10 is supported but apparently not the Venue 11. The article says if I changed my drive from UEFI to Legacy boot then the BIOS recovery won't work but was running in Legacy mode before the failure. Apparently I can run the BIOS recovery from a USB but again I need my service tag to request it but can't access the tablet to get to it. I didn't buy direct from Dell but bought the unit from a shop on ebay nearly 1 year ago. I have that order number but obviously that doesn't help.

2K Posts

November 7th, 2016 16:00

Hi SMASH4686,

Well, if it is an ebay purchase, I suppose we cannot find the service tag, unless you have contacted Dell support about the tablet sometime in the past. 

You could download the BIOS from the support site without need for the service tag and force the BIOS update through USB.

Is the tablet under warranty? If yes, we could have it repaired as per your warranty and region.

Keep us updated.

No Events found!