Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2014 06:00

Dell venue 8 internal hard disk not found

Its busted,

The bios cant locate drive. The onboard diagnostics can find it and test it no problem. It passes all tests. Help!!

1 Message

September 24th, 2016 14:00

I ended up with the same problem after accidentally resetting the Bios of my Venue 8 Pro 3845 to it's "optimized" default settings and after a bunch of hours of frustration I tried a mixture of different solutions people had posted. Since I wanted a clean install anyway, I didn't care about the data on the drive.

Long story short, the Venue 8 Pro 3845 will not boot via microSD, inserting the microSD in a USB card reader and attaching that to an OTG cable worked to get the boot done that way. I used Rufus to create that bootable microSD/USB key, based on a Windows 10 Home x86 iso which I had downloaded via Microsofts MediaCreationTool. The next challenge was the missing mouse/touchscreen support during Windows setup. I got that handled by adding AutoUnattended.xml, the first run with some standard disk settings failed me big time (i.e. the setup wasn't able to copy files since it had issues accessing the internal drive (eMMC).

I came across a topic tabletpcreview.com which contained the proper disk details in the provided AutoUnattended.xml, from where I grabbed the 'DiskConfiguration' and 'ImageInstall' section for my Windows 10 compatible file.

January 8th, 2014 10:00

Hello Squidwardd,

Have you flashed the bios to the most recent version?  http://dell.to/K6rhfT  The most recent version is A02.  You may want to try a previous version to see if that helps.
The Dell Venue 8 Pro User's Manual (http://bit.ly/1gE9SXY) offers quite a few troubleshooting scenarios, but does not include this particular problem.  If the problem persists after the bios is flashed, you may have to contact Dell tech support, as the hard drive may need to be replaced.
Please let us know if the problem is resolved.
~Maureen
#Iwork4Dell

January 8th, 2014 10:00

Hello Maureen F,

Squidwardd???

I had just did a bios update before this malfunction. How do I flash the bios if I can’t boot? The Bios Version Says A03 on the ePSA Pre-boot system assessment-configuration tab.

January 8th, 2014 11:00

Hello Cyrus.grimes,

I apologize about the name!
Does the Bios state that it cannot locate the drive or is there no information provided on the hard drive?  The Bios for the Venue 8 does not display information on the hard drive. 
If there is an error message in the Bios for the hard drive, the hard drive will likely need to be replaced.

If the hardware diags pass and there isn't a specific bios error message regarding the hard drive, and you are not able to boot into Windows, typical no boot troubleshooting will need to be done to isolate the cause. 
~Maureen

#Iwork4Dell

January 8th, 2014 12:00

Hey Maureen,

LOL, about the name.

The bios shows no information for the drive. under the advanced tab it only shows

---------------------------------------

Enable UEFI Network Stack        [Disabled]

> CPU Configuration

> USB Configuration

> Miscellaneous Devices

---------------------------------------

Only the hardware diags (ePSA) seem to show the drive, it is testing eMMC Drive, or is it showing the micro-SD reader??

January 29th, 2014 11:00

Hello Cyrus.Grimes,

Is your Venue 8 able to boot into the operating system?  Does it pass diags?  Is there a problem with the tablet or is it working fine but you are wondering why it isn't mentioned in the Bios?

The Venue 8 doesn't list the hard drive in the Bios.

If you are having a problem with the hard drive, please perform the standard troubleshooting for a hard drive: run diagnostics, reseat the drive, and swap in a known good hard drive if available.

~Maureen

#Iwork4Dell

January 29th, 2014 11:00

the bios would not see the internal drive. I sent it in for repair and they fixed it.

January 29th, 2014 12:00

Glad to hear the problem has been resolved.  :)

3 Posts

August 14th, 2014 19:00

I am having the same issue. Is there a way to fix without sending it in. After the initial Dell logo i get this

Internal hard drive not found

to resolve this issue try to reseat the drive

December 16th, 2014 07:00

Evidently not.   I also had to send my venue 8 in for repair.  They indicate that they reloaded the OS ... I don't see how  you can reload the OS if you can't boot.  

December 16th, 2014 14:00

All Dell did was restore the OS.

You can restore the OS yourself from a windows restore USB stick.  If you're lucky, you can recover back to a windows restore point.

1 Message

October 18th, 2015 07:00

Solucionado.
hola soy de Bolivia y tuve el mismo problema pude solucionarlo entrando a la consola de comandos del instalador de Windows 8  si bien el bios no lo reconoce el disco el windows si reconoce las tarjetas de memoria insertadas.

1 Message

August 6th, 2018 22:00

I'm passing all the other tests but not the drive. Does the drive need to be replaced?

1 Message

February 18th, 2020 10:00

Hi!

I know the thread is very old but i hope you can still help me !

I have the same problem here (Dell venue 8 internal hard disk not found) and can't get it working .. I tried to register on tabletpcreview to get the AutoUnattended.xml file , but i don't get the confimation email, so i can't download the file  

best regards and i hope you can help me!

Helmut

No Events found!