Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 27th, 2010 04:00

My Dell PC Suite installation crashed my PC (Everytime!)

Can anyone help please?

I have tried everything I can think of...

Situation

After installing Dell PC Suite, my PC crashes whenever I click on any Windows Explorer feature.

This is definitely related to the installation of the PC Suite.

No matter how I install the software (Whether I use compatibility mode(s), or installing as the Administrator) the problem occurs.

I have tried several copies of the Dell PC Suite

I have installed dozens of time

I have to do a System Restore to remove this error each time. (so I have been doing dozens of those)

My PC = Windows Ultimate 32bit

Installation

The Dell PC suite installation installs ok, however, everytime I install I get a message from Dell's installation wizard, which tells me I have to close Windows Explore. There are two options given, each of which gives the same result. My PC crashes after installation.

I have contacted Dell Support

• Telephoned, and Dell referred me to my phone supplier (o2) However obviously this was fruitless
  • I have contacted Dell via their online support, however not heard anything back

Questions...

• Does anyone know how to fix this
  • Is the installation notice that Windows Explorer needs to close normal?
  • Is there anything else I can try?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Regards.....

29 Posts

July 26th, 2010 13:00

Finally this has been sorted

Dell contacted me and tirelessly tried to find the route of the problem. Despite lengthy investigations, they brought in Microsoft to investigated, and again after length investigation they found the problem to cause, not by Dell, but by a .dll file from a previous Sony Ericsson installation.

This .dll was removed, and all sorted

Thanks to all who provided suggestions

29 Posts

July 2nd, 2010 10:00

dispite  contacting Dell twice, still no reply !

:emotion-6:

1.1K Posts

July 2nd, 2010 13:00

Grizlore:

Have you tried to install it in Safe Mode yet? Maybe try the installation with your Anti-Virus turned off briefly...

Shouldn't be the case for either one.. just throwing it out there.

Let me know.

29 Posts

July 4th, 2010 08:00

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply

Yes, I have tried and no joy. (btw you can't install in safe mode)

I have reaised this twice wil Dell, and still no reply or acknowledgement, even though my inquery was told that they 'normally' reply within 24hrs.

Do you know if this is normal?

29 Posts

July 6th, 2010 16:00

Hi Amy, thanks for your reply

Well... I thought that had fixed it, as I followed your instructions (However I had to re-enable the Windows Installer Service to enable the installation to start)

Everything seemed to install ok, as I didnt get the warning that Windows Explorer needed to be closed. SO I was hopefully... However... :emotion-9:  After it installed I got the same old crash whenever I tried to navigate to anything (My Computer, my documents etc etc)

The same old warning below

This is a real bind, as I want to sync my lovely Dell Streak with my Outlook

Anything else I can try

Thanks for your time.

ps - I have still not heard anything from my communications with the Dell Support section, which is disappointing

370 Posts

July 6th, 2010 16:00

Hi Grizlore,

A couple of suggestions here.

1. Make sure you download the file using Internet Explorer. Save it to your system, rather than running it from the web site. Also, don't use the Dell Driver Download Manager nor the "Add to Download List" option. Stick with the blue "Download" button on the driver page.
  2. Close all other programs and services temporarily.
  3. Turn off you antivirus/security software temporarily.
  4. Right-click on the downloaded file to install as Administrator

Steps 2 and 3 can be tricky if there are items running in the background. A quick way to ensure everything else is off, click on Start - Run and type in "MSCONFIG". Go to the "Services" tab, check off the "Hide all Microsoft Services" box, then click the "Disable All" button. Click on the "Apply" button, then move over to the "Startup" tab. Click on the "Disable All" button, then click "Ok" to save and reboot.

Try the installation at this point. Afterwards, go back into MSConfig on the "General" tab, change it back to "Normal Startup" and reboot. This will restore your previous settings.

If this process works, this means you had some other software/process running that would not allow the full installation of the Streak software.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Amy

370 Posts

July 9th, 2010 16:00

Couple of things to try:

1. Make sure you have the latest updates from Microsoft

2. Are you using IOMEGA Hotburn? If so, try this: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/61df37b8-9955-4da9-b9c1-eafa5448c933/#ee4b787d-2987-401e-909f-29865d233856

Thanks,

Amy

29 Posts

July 9th, 2010 16:00

Hi,

I always have Windows up-to-date

and I don't use IOMEGA Hotburn

Thanks for your reply

40 Posts

July 22nd, 2010 23:00

I would contact Microsoft.  I was having the same issue with Windows 7 after I tried to load Firefox and Chrome onto my system, so it is probalby somehting to do with MS not wanting to support other search engines.  The odd thing was that I could simply click on the "X" on the upper right of the error message box and still go to whatever web site I wanted. 

Check out this link on the Microsoft Answers Forum  http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/76fb744d-a7a0-4b67-91c5-a524c901af5a

No Events found!