Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2013 13:00

Tip comes out of Venue 8 Pro Stylus easily - is this a design feature?

All:

I've got this new stylus on my new Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet and am overall happy with it.  When I got the stylus I was initially a little suprised that the tip comes right out with no real force.  I assumed this was just a bad design and is a risk I took at being an early adopter - to be able to provide feedback on bad designs.  But before I give the feedback to Dell, can anyone else confirm that the tip is indeed supposed to pop right out, or should it be afixed in place somehow.

Thanks

214 Posts

January 8th, 2014 22:00

@ JC — I am only 25% "Indian" and my IQ = just 148 — but I am way-cute (I'm told). However, no way I'm moving to India, so the job is yours...

828 Posts

January 9th, 2014 08:00

When were these styluses shipped?    The problem with the loose tips should have been resolved, so I'm concerned that you are still seeing this.

As for the other problems, there is another thread on this, but we are working to resolve all the issues and will have an update for you soon.

214 Posts

January 9th, 2014 09:00

@ DELL-Brian B: My own stylus ordered from Dell on Dec. 9; initially back-ordered, but shipped after few days & rec'd on Dec. 16. On that same day, Dell Mobility Support diagnosed it as 'defective' out-of-the-box, and I have been waiting for its replacement since December 16th...

Worth noting, for other V8/11 owners in similar circumstances — cheap, generic styli will work for basic touch functions, but not drawing & writing; nevertheless — might help to get by while waiting...

:emotion-32: 

828 Posts

January 9th, 2014 14:00

Any stylus shipped after December 04 should in theory have a good tip.   I'm sorry to hear that you got a bad one.  

214 Posts

January 9th, 2014 15:00

@ DELL-BRIAN B: 

As received, the stylus tip was detached – possibly due to shipping trauma. After reinstalling, it's not excessively loose, but the pen is too jittery-hypersensitive and "clicks" aren't recognized; the (+) terminal is also too recessed & didn't maintain reliable contact with battery 'til I added a small wad of Al foil on opposite end. The "Urgent" Panel Touch firmware upgrade (posted Jan 2nd) didn't improve jittery behavior. Without a protective cap, I expect these tips to have a high mortality in the wild. Even the stylus holders incorporated into Dell-designed accessories don't protect these tips in place, and are awkward to insert/remove the Dell stylus without hanging-up on the clicker or snagging the tip. (Mostly for that lame design, I've returned my $40 Dell Folio sleeve.)

Meanwhile, I'm using a 4-for-a-Buck passive stylus — which works smoothly, but the blunt rubber tip lacks precision which would be useful when navigating legacy device & driver menus... (If I don't get replacement stylus soon, I'm gonna change my forum handle to "Sir Zoomalot")

828 Posts

January 9th, 2014 16:00

@ DELL-BRIAN B: 

As received, the stylus tip was detached – possibly due to shipping trauma. After reinstalling, it's not excessively loose, but the pen is too jittery-hypersensitive and "clicks" aren't recognized; the (+) terminal is also too recessed & didn't maintain reliable contact with battery 'til I added a small wad of Al foil on opposite end. The "Urgent" Panel Touch firmware upgrade (posted Jan 2nd) didn't improve jittery behavior. Without a protective cap, I expect these tips to have a high mortality in the wild. Even the stylus holders incorporated into Dell-designed accessories don't protect these tips in place, and are awkward to insert/remove the Dell stylus without hanging-up on the clicker or snagging the tip. (Mostly for that lame design, I've returned my $40 Dell Folio sleeve.)

Meanwhile, I'm using a 4-for-a-Buck passive stylus — which works smoothly, but the blunt rubber tip lacks precision which would be useful when navigating legacy device & driver menus... (If I don't get replacement stylus soon, I'm gonna change my forum handle to "Sir Zoomalot")

Thanks - sounds like your stylus tip is OK then and just came out in shipping. It shouldn't easily fall out, but they are removable with a little pull. This is as designed. The performance issues will be addressed in near term - I'll post more here when I have info. Yeah, the passive stylus works OK, but agree with your new handle. :)

1 Message

January 14th, 2014 16:00

Love the tablet, but the stylus is absolute <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> .

Do yourself a favor and order a non-Dell replacment.

214 Posts

January 14th, 2014 17:00

@ JOEROCKET:

I had hoped to "move-on" with a non-Dell replacement stylus as you suggested; however, I haven't yet discovered any other tablet-maker who has adopted this new, problematic digitizer technology from Synaptics. Digitizer Styli from Microsoft, Samsung, Lenovo, Asus all use time-tested Wacom digitizer tech which isn't compatible. 

Most generic "capitative" styli will only operate basic touch functions on a Venue tablet, if anybody learns of a stylus that works with  Dell's digitizer functions, please let the rest of us know!!!

8 Posts

January 15th, 2014 19:00

Have you figured out what the toggle button on the pen does?

And after going to a specialty shop I found that  hard to find AAAA battery for $7.00 for 2.  Ouch!  I'm wondering if I can find rechargeable ones!

My posts and emails have also gotten nothing from dell..hopefully you will be their 4 star employee to actually fix their mistake!

2 Posts

January 17th, 2014 11:00

1.5h on the phone and a chat session. They have refused to do so and claim there are "no replacements". I am very unhappy as without a stylus the whole device is not useful to me.  What I have now is an overpriced Kindle.

2 Posts

What is the plan to deal with this? I had a stylus which worked fine for over a month and yesterday the tip suddenly fell out and is lost. I called customer support and was transferred to 4 departments including someone outside of dell. No one could help at all. There appears to be no replacement stylus, no tips, and no one at Dell willing to honor the warranty on the product.

828 Posts

What is the plan to deal with this? I had a stylus which worked fine for over a month and yesterday the tip suddenly fell out and is lost. I called customer support and was transferred to 4 departments including someone outside of dell. No one could help at all. There appears to be no replacement stylus, no tips, and no one at Dell willing to honor the warranty on the product.

The service department should be able to replace your pen under warranty.

3.8K Posts

January 18th, 2014 06:00

@Michgol, I have sent you an email, kindly reply back with the required information.

Thank you,

11 Posts

January 18th, 2014 07:00

FWIW: In the manual for the 5130 then have a short section on the pen, taking it apart, and showing how to replace the tip.  Looking at that might help show how it's suppose to work (maybe help a little anyway).

January 26th, 2014 12:00

would you be able to help me get a replacement tips mine is falling out 5 times and now its gone on what may be permanent vacation so I'd need to get the tip replaced only had this thing for a month

No Events found!