Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 17th, 2011 11:00

Update for Venue to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

Would like to know the tentative dates for the update for Dell Venue to Android 2.3. Or even if whether it's in the pipeline for the update.

Any heads up will be appreciated.

User's who want an update for their Venue to to Android 2.3 vote below:

[poll]

1 Message

June 1st, 2011 15:00

Hi, I will really appreciate an update to 2.3 for Dell Venue.

18 Posts

March 16th, 2012 02:00

XDA is a web site, one of the best for making the best of your Android device.  Check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1010 for all things Venue, especially the Venue General and Venue Android Development sub-forums.  My instructions for updating to Gingerbread can be found here:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19968194&postcount=45.  If you don't know what ADB is and how to use it, or never flashed an Android device, read the instructions at least 3 times before trying to do anything.  Otherwise read them twice.  The instructions work fine, but if you don't follow the directions and break your phone, don't come crying to me.

1 Message

March 28th, 2011 09:00

please update as soon as possible!

2 Posts

April 4th, 2011 08:00

Well, if Dell needs to be taken as a serious contender in the mobile devices category, they would have to provide timely updates to their line of products, The Venue is the first android offering from Dell, a lot will depend on how they support this device. When they come out with a new phone, that phone will be judged on how the previous version was supported. Samsung took a lot of flak for dragging their feet on the Froyo update for the Galaxy S phones, they subsequently suffered negative feedback on the Galaxy S 4G phone. Hope Dell does the right thing and is in the process of updating the Mobile devices to Gingerbread.

16 Posts

April 4th, 2011 20:00

I think the Dell Streak is the first android offering from Dell.

4 Posts

April 7th, 2011 14:00

Yes.  I am happy with my Venue.  But It will be much better with Gingerbread.

4 Posts

April 15th, 2011 16:00

I love my Venue but I too would like to see it updated to the .23 or even higher.:emotion-1:

4 Posts

May 13th, 2011 12:00

I two love my Venue and I would love to see it updated to 2.3 or higher.

1 Message

May 29th, 2011 01:00

Please update Dell Venue to 2.3 or higher! Then it will be a much better android experience.

26 Posts

June 11th, 2011 13:00

Anxiously waiting DELL Venue update (and Streak 7)!  

The Streak 5 was the first Android product for DELL.  As a former Streak 5 owner and now with 2 Venue Phones (wife and I) and three Streak 7's (me, wife, daughter) I can say that without an update these will be the last DELL products that we purchase (even though we have been happy with them to date).  

It seems like every other manufacturer is announcing or currently updating the stable of Android devices and DELL has done nothing.  I cannot even find any rumors about DELL updates on forums or other posts.

There are just to many good choices to be waiting around for a company to provide updates and customer service.  It is a shame as I think that DELL has some best in class products that are tumbling into obsolescence.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

John

2 Posts

June 13th, 2011 23:00

I'm a Venue user for the last 45-days, having switched over from BlackBerry, and at this time, I'm ready to switch back to an outdated device due to the issues I'm having with the Venue with Android 2.2. The sad part will be that most of the issues are likely to be software based (I'm guessing here).

Some of these, and in no particular order - the camera freezes after some shots, with no pattern; it makes clicking noises and is hung, need to press the screen-lock button to exit out and get back in all over again.

I use Timerrific to set up scheduled phone switch-off (a feature that's available native in BB). Every now and then, even after the phone comes out of Airplane mode, it does not connect to my service provider, even though it appears to be connected to my wi-fi network. I say appears to be connected, because though the icon shows, it's not really connected. And this requires a battery-pull, or full restart to get back going.

The techies I've spoken to have near unanimously advised me to be patient and wait for Android 2.3, but this is where the utter silence from Dell is freaking me out. I was already suffering the lack of sane Outlook and calendar support and the learning curve of a completely new OS, without having to put up with complete unpredictability from my handset - the number of people telling me that my phone was not reachable has dramatically increrased, and I've no way of knowing whether this was because the handset was having software issues.

Ironically, I'm a person who strongly recommends Dell hardware, and have purchased numerous Dell systems over the years for personal and company use. And this was the reason I favored Dell over Samsung, when I went about shifting from BlackBerry. As of now, i'm regretting my decision - is it really so unreasonable to ask for an upgrade path to something that the rest of the world is already on, or has shown the roadmap?

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this post, I've posted here to support my request for the Android 2.3 upgrade at the earliest.

ajit m

26 Posts

June 14th, 2011 03:00

Great post Ajit - good points, well presented.  I second your comments completely and wish that DELL at least announce their plans.  We chose DELL for the same reasons that you did and that this point it has been a total let down.

John

June 16th, 2011 01:00

I hope u were working on it....:)

1 Message

June 16th, 2011 05:00

Venue is a reference android phone for other potential buyer to consider Dell or not. If no update is provided for venue, the tendency of the potential buyer to consider Dell will reduce. Keeping update for venue will give a good impression for android users.

2 Posts

June 16th, 2011 10:00

Waiting! please update asap

No Events found!